Kathy Davie's Reviews > Hell Hath No Fury

4222001
Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, military
Read in May, 2011

Second in the New Multiverse military science-fiction series. And it had better not be the last!

The Story
I. N. T. E. N. S. E. It took me days to read this as it was such an intense story.

The brutality and evil of mul Gurthak with his underhanded, traitorous plot. Setting up the Sharonians with the peace talks at the portal while bringing his army and dragons forward for the sneak attack. Only the Talents of the Sharonians enable them to survive at all as they escape through the forest.

I loved meeting Crown Prince Janaki and his encouragement of Darcel Kinlafia, the Voice from Hell's Gate who passed on Shaylar's psychic video of the attack on their party of surveyors to the rest of their world. I wish there were more men of honor like Janaki and Darcel, chan Baskay, oh, so many others who are decent including Sir Jasak Olderhan and Gadrial Kelbryan.

The forward attacks on the Sharonian forts. The knowledge the Arcanans' have of the Sharonians' VoiceNet and how they use it. Then there's the political machinations as the Sharonians attempt to respond to this violent encounter. Most of Sharona wants Zindel as emperor of a united planet but Chava Busar, Emperor of Uromathia, is plotting for his own crowning. His needs come before anyone's including the survival of Sharona.

My Take
Weber, Evans, you simply cannot leave me hanging like this!

The deaths, the sacrifices made. The subsection of the Act of Unification requiring a chan Calirath to marry into Chava Busar's family but then there's that Glimpse that the emperor had involving Darcel Kinlafia with a child and his daughter. The Arcanans are at a temporary standstill while the Sharonians are trying to recoup from the attack and the prince's death.

Does that traitorous bastard, mul Gurthak, finally get exposed? What about the brutality of Thalmayr? Does he ever get stopped? Will Ulthar ever man up? And if he does, what happens??!! If Jathmar and Shaylar's Talents are fading as they go further into the Arcanan universe will the same happen with the Arcanans' magic as they push further into Sharona??

What happens with Jathmar and Shaylar, Gadrial and Jasak?? And there has been nothing about chan Baskay and his tiny group of survivors...! What did Janaki Glimpse that Darcel just realized? Dang it, inquiring minds have got to know!!!

The Cover
I can't help it. I think the cover is dorky. Yes, it's accurate in its 1940-ish, almost cartoonish depiction of blasting dragons with fierce armored soldiers fighting back. It just doesn't convey the amazing worlds at odds with each other. I'm not getting that sense of magic versus technology that runs throughout the New Multiverse series. And that series name? What's with that? New Multiverse? Sounds more like a set of textbooks.

The title though, that is amazingly accurate. I love the fury that rains down on the Arcanans at Fort Salby…YES!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hell Hath No Fury.