Sarah's Reviews > Clementine

Clementine by Cherie Priest

Jun 02, 2011

liked it
Read from June 01 to 02, 2011

Curious plot, appropriately steampunky, but lacking in depth. Having read Boneshaker, I was interested in the continuation of Croggon Hainey's story; references to the events in the first book definitely enriched the world of Clementine, and made me more invested in the advancement of the plot. However, none of the newly introduced characters in this book left an impression on me, which makes me feel I could have skipped this one altogether (or at least kept Croggon and crew and left all the rest behind).

I originally gravitated toward Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century series because the books tend to feature strong female characters, and with this in mind, was disappointed by the relative flatness of Maria Belle Boyd in comparison to the other characters in #1. While there were brief moments of suspense here and there - points for handling a Gatling gun - there just wasn't enough follow-through on her rumored awesomeness to make me care whether or not Maria Boyd met her goals, which is a big deal as a good half of the text focuses on her. Perhaps I will like her better if she cameos in a later CC book.

In any case, Boneshaker's badassedness is definitely carrying me past this comparatively lackluster sequel on to #3!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clementine.