Diana (Bookish_D)'s Reviews > Once in a Full Moon

Once in a Full Moon by Ellen Schreiber

4642011
Jun 01, 2011

liked it

So, I had heard both good and bad things about this book, I wont lie- mostly bad, but you know what, I enjoyed it very much. In this story we follow Celeste, she’s your typical teenage girl who’s trying to enjoy her boyfriend and at the same time survive HS. One day during her walk home from school, she gets lost in the woods and is attacked by wolves. Thankfully, Brandon (the new boy from school) happened to be around and he comes to her rescue by scaring of the wolves off, but not without a battle scar; Brandon is bitten. Now, Legend’s Run is a very small town, and a very superstitious community. For hundreds of years there’s been a rumor running wild… you know what it is? You guessed it. Werewolves!... Well, eh, in reality it was the Wolf man.

That’s what I enjoyed about the book; although the story was familiar, it was completely different in its own way because it revolved around the wolf man (on two legs), not werewolves (on all fours). The scene’s were very well described, we had enjoyable characters- loved Brandon and I hated Nash. He was such a coward and he was utterly annoying! His idea of a date was taking his girlfriend to his sports practice? Um, no thanks! Celeste was a bit on the, “OMG are you BLIND?” side, but I cared for her as a character. Being the poor one in her little clique, I could easily relate to how hard she tried to get others to like her. I think we’ve all aimed to impress the wrong people. The relationship between Celeste and Brandon was slow but natural. It felt real and unrushed, although I do wish they had spend a bit more time trying to get to know more about one another, but since Brandon was bitten early in the relationship, they really didn’t have much time for 21 questions.

Overall, Once in a full moon was a good, enjoyable read. Some scene’s where a bit too-mushy, but what do you expect?! The main characters are High School kids whom like each other but are afraid to admit it in front of their friends. The ending was a bit… wierd. It kind of just ends… not like a typical ending- you’re in the middle of the scene and all of a sudden to turn the page only to find it blank. I was like, “WTH? That’s it?” but I guess the author was just setting up the town of Legend's Run and it's key players, giving us only a sample of what's to come... I look forward to more secrets being revealed in the next installment!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once in a Full Moon.