Sezin Koehler's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: american-monsters-2-research, crime, horror, culture, american-monsters-3-research
Recommended to Sezin by: Marty
Read from June 01 to July 18, 2011, read count: 1

This book is crazy prophetic. In the story, the cure for the common cold goes bad and ends up turning most of the human population into zombies. Because the mainstream media helped cover up the epidemic, in this future world bloggers are the new and trusted media. No more Fox News, hallelujah.

There is so much I loved about this book, prophecy aside. I love that one of the types of bloggers is an Irwin (I have a Zuzu Irwin thread on my own blog which is about my different encounters with animals around the world). I also love that another blogger type is a Fictional (I have a poetry series on my blog about the memories and stories of Prague's sculptures). Basically, I saw myself in a lot of the characters in FEED.

I've never before read a book with a blogger as the main character and that is one of the most enjoyable parts of the story. Lots of parallels to my own blogging style, including a 15-minutes-to-live post that left me weeping.

The future world is bleak but overall the power of social media and online publishing shines through. I suspect we'll be seeing more and more books like this one as the days go by.

Zombie mayhem and nastiness is at a minimum, so if you aren't into the zombie genre (as I definitely am not) then no worries, nothing too cringe-worthy or gross. The story is very human, and that could be seen as a flaw (at least that's what my husband said, he wanted more zombie appearances). The writing style is clear and the excerpts from the bloggers "actual" blogs are brilliant.

I am on pins and needles to read the two follow-up novels. Absolutely recommend this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Marty Really excellent review. Wait till you get to the end of DEADLINE. Also recommend two others: Last Light and Afterlight......the global loss of allllll oil, overnite.

Sezin Koehler I looked for it here at the bookshop and they didn't have her stuff yet. I want to read DEADLINE so badly!