melissa1lbr's Reviews > Prized

Feb 09, 12

bookshelves: arcs, e-book, collection
Read from January 04 to 31, 2012

Things I Liked:
I was really surprised with the direction this book went. This is definitely not a sequel that just rehashes the first book, or bridges to another book. This is almost a stand alone story. I really enjoyed how it was completely its own book, didn't depend (much) on the first book, and was still interesting. What made the book for me, though, was Gaia. She was a flawed, realistic, confused, but still strong person - especially in the way she dealt with the Matrarc. I kept wanting to read so I could figure her out, since she made both mistakes and hard choices. She was complex and had a lot of emotions and different motivations warring in her. Her choices eventually led to the (somewhat predictable) ending, but were still hard to make and interesting in the consequences. A strong book with a compelling main character.

Things I Didn't Like:
It actually kind of dragged for a while. The middle felt so slow I often set the book aside. And I wasn't too impressed with the way Sylum was set up, how they were kept there, and what Gaia found out about them. It felt only quasi-scientific and just didn't really make sense when I sat and thought about it. And yes, the love square was rather annoying. But didn't bug me too much, even if she should have figured out what she wanted way before she finally did. Definitely its the character development that made this one good to me, not so much the world building or romance.
Full review at One Librarian's Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prized.