♥Meagan♥'s Reviews > Unlocked

Unlocked by Courtney Milan

Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance, novella
Read in May, 2011

We begin with Evan's point of view as he returns to society after ten years of mountaineering. Isn't that sexy? :P He was the golden boy of London's social scene before he left, and has only returned because of his father's death. His best friend happens to be Diana, Lady Cosgrove, who also happens to be the antagonist of the story.

The love story is an endearing one of starcrossed lovers. Evan loved her before he left, but in his inability to express himself and his obsession with what people thought of him, he treated he badly. We discover that he left London because he could not deal with what he did to her. Lady Elaine is a woman that everyone can identify with. She is sweet, and withdrawn. As Courtney Milan reveals the scars of Lady Elaine's past, your heart will break for her, but you will also be rooting for her. Your heart will also constrict upon hearing the way that Elaine's mother is treated. She is an extremely intelligent woman of science, but she is disparaged because women were not supposed to be studying at that time.

I identified so much with Lady Elaine because I remember being bullied for being too smart, or not pretty enough. I kept wanting to read, to see if Lady Elaine could ever forgive errors that happened in the past. I wanted to see if she could ever trust Evan. I was dying to find out if Evan and Elaine would ever be together. I desperately wanted to see Elaine become the woman she was meant to be.

As a women's studies major, I loved this book as well. Courtney Milan sends a message that women do not have to be demure to be respected. She tells girls that you can be intelligent, AND be a woman. Her female characters are inspiring and not sexist. She manages to do this without making the men unrealistic or super chauvinistic either. Her writing style is beautifully written and realistic. Courtney Milan has a way with words and I can't wait to read he other book that is currently out.

Summary: Dreamy writing. Positive message for and about women. Fabulous character growth. Dramatical Irony out the yazoo. Squee-able romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlocked.