Anzu The Great Destroyer's Reviews > Archangel's Consort

Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh

I'm re-reading this series. The latest installment is out so I want to be in the zone. But oh wow. This is awkward. I could not finish it.

I COULD NOT FUCKING FINISH IT.

And I used to love it. I used to love it a lot. People change. Indeed they do.

What made me feel this way? There's no fucking story. It's all about Raphael banging Elena, Elena banging Raphael and so on. I also have a big problem with Raphael's caveman attitude. Nope, cannot stand it.

So that's it for me. I'm dropping the series. Sad, but not really.

------------------
Old review:

September 6th 2011… now that’s cruel if you ask me. *sighs* And so ends the final book in my Guild Hunter collection. I have two short stories that I need to read but it’s still not the same thing… total sadness… *dramatic music playing in the background * The HORROR!!!! *shakes fist in the air*

Now that I’m done with that breakdown I’ll continue my review. Excuse my outburst…

So, we start with an annoying Raphael. I really don’t know wtf was wrong with him at the beginning of the book but I was pretty sure their relationship would get maimed somehow. Just check out this quote:

“I was worried about you.”
‹I am an archangel.›
Unsaid were the words that he found the worry of a woman who’d been mortal not long ago—who was still not a true immortal—laughable.

Wtf again! I mean you go through so much shit to be together and now you take this asshole attitude. Where’s a baseball bat when you need one…

If this crap Raphael was giving would have lasted till the middle of the book, or something like this, I would have given it a bad review. Yep, that’s the sad, very sad truth. But of course the wonderful Nalini Singh wouldn’t do this to us. *eyes sparkle with awe* By the end of the book the change in Raphael is so huge (heh, pun intended – if you know what I mean) that he seems a totally different pers- eeerr… archangel… Sooo happy day for a problem solved! Wilson, you may serve the tea and crackers!

Some of you may have booed the book because of the pretty huge (heeh, can’t get enough of this) amount of sex scenes it has. Yes, you may be right. But I know you’re all perverts and you enjoyed each second of it. So suck it up and quit whining! It’s just the couple’s way of letting out steam. So yeah, therapy. That’s the way you should see it. Looooong sweaty sexy therapy. The best there ever was.

My favorite scene, or maybe one of my favorites, is where Elena spars with Raphael. I always found fighting, or sparring as you wish to put it, between lovers erotic. Wish I could do that myself one day. But first I have to get some lessons. Which is also sexy if the tutor is a hottie. I guess I can go on with this all day so I’ll just stop here. *coughs* Uhm so yes, sparring… sexy… moving on… *wipes her forehead*

The story itself was really great, loved the fact that the enemy is someone with a colossal amount of power. And Raphael’s mum. That’s just freaky if you ask me. I always knew mum-in-laws had problems with their sons’ wives, or whatever, but come on! Imagine dating Raphael and one day having dinner with Caliane. That’s nightmare material if you ask me.

The city is in ruins – nah scratch that! The world is in ruins. Chaos everywhere. Vamps going crazy, you don’t know who’s sane and who’s not anymore. The end is uncertain. And I loved it all. I can’t say it’s as good as the previous books, but this series can easily be called a masterpiece. And also Elena and Raphael are one of the best couples ever created. Their little (heh – it was huge *grins*) angel dance was interesting. I must admit I was expecting something else so I can’t form an opinion about this. I won’t look at the world with the same eyes anymore *sad music playing in the background*

I’ve missed Michaela’s death in the book. Since it didn’t happen so far I’m sure Nalini Singh has something special hidden somewhere for her. I’m still hoping it involves lots of pain and torture but I doubt it. *looks towards the sky* WHY?!?! Why must she live?!?!?!

Wilson! Bring me my secret-kill-Michaela-in-the-next-book plan!

Yeeees!!! *pats the folder* Soon my precious…

Now, to prove my point of how this epic the book is, I will just paste a simple scene. No spoilers, nothing to ruin the mood. This is one of the reasons why Nalini Singh grew on me so much.

She was hunter-born, could handle vampires twice her size without blinking. The crowd might overpower her, but not before she took down a significant percentage of their number. Noting that the walls of humanity had blocked all other traffic on both ends of the street, she walked to stand in the middle . . . and looked up at the sky. And there he was, his wingspan creating a massive shadow as he swept down to land in front of her. “Are you well, Consort?”
Silence held their audience in thrall, their awe now licked with dread. “They’re only curious.” She saw the danger in his eyes, knew he had the capacity to execute every human on the street. “I should’ve considered it. I just ... forgot that nothing’s the same anymore.”

How can you not love it?!?! Seriously!

Top five quotes:
#5 “A lot of women have trouble with their mothers-in-law.”
Raphael’s look was priceless. “My mother is an insane archangel.”

#4 He was an archangel. He’d been wounded far, far worse and shrugged it off. But then, there had been no woman with skin kissed by the sunset and eyes of storm gray to tear into him for daring to get himself hurt.

#3 Elena.
Hush, let me talk to the crazy lady.

#2“Death holds no allure for me, Elena.” The power of him cut against his skin, a cold white fire. “Not when I have yet to sate my hunger for you.”

#1“Raphael, tell him you won’t do anything to him if I get ‘damaged.’ ”
“That would be a lie, Elena. I would tear out his throat.”

Read the review on ZombieHazard.

------------------

First read: 1-4 Jun 2011
Second read: 26-28 Nov 2013

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Consort.

06/02/2011
29.0% "Trouble in Paradise..."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored I absolutely love quotes 1 and 3 :D I like the review a lot :D

Anzu The Great Destroyer :D Love the change in Raphael... Imagine Elena talking to him like that in book 1 :))

Anzu The Great Destroyer btw didn't tell you... have some sketches fooooooor... 3 angels :p guess who :))

Clare Ohhhhhhhh I wanna see

Anzu The Great Destroyer :D just let me fix this bastard of a PC and I'll start working on them :))

message 7: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. Your reviews are the best!! This one is spot-on. So funny too.

Anzu The Great Destroyer Loooooool thanks :D

Lidia LOL! I had tears in my eyes from laughing!! xD your review is hilarious, thanx....

message 10: by Anzu (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anzu The Great Destroyer Thanks Lidia ;)