Amanda's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Apr 13, 13

bookshelves: not-my-cuppa-tea, young-adult, paranormal, romance, craptastic
Read in June, 2011

14 Apr '13
Future commenters: if you disagree with the review, that is perfectly fine and normal. If you wish to add your own thoughts of the book, that's also perfectly fine. But please keep the ad hominems and accusations (and not just directed at me, but also other commenters) at home.

Everyone's free to say what they wish on a public forum. But I am also free to moderate what goes on in my space. I've never deleted/moderated comments before, as that goes against my beliefs on free and public discourse, but any future offensive or judgemental/critical-of-people-instead-of-the-book comments will be ignored and deleted.

This is a review of a book, not a fact sheet. Just because I think this book is stupid, does not mean I think people who enjoy it are stupid. No need to be defensive/insulted over it.

11 Dec '12
Edit, because I am fucking sick of people coming up to the comments section, especially without reading through the previous pages of comments, and stomp in, guns blazing with accusations of racism and slutshaming.

1) Racism / wtf does Race have to do with anything!? / stfu you racist cow! / Stop putting irrelevant topics in your review, bitch!

>>please refer to:
comment 69
comment 74

2) Slutshaming / How dare you call her the S word! / Girls like you are setting back feminism by a few decades! / Other holier-than-thou comments

First of all -- if you're going to start accusing me of slut-shaming simply because of my use of the word "slut", GTFO. I'm going to steal a commenter's words here: slut-shaming is not about the word, it's about a mind set. (view spoiler)

But just to make it extra crispy clear: it isn't Rose's sluttiness that pisses me off and makes me loathe her, it's her hypocrisy and objectifying of human beings. Had she been a male character I would have called him an ass/jerk/manwhore. How many people would object to that?!

>>please refer to: comment 116

17 Apr '12
Where I come from, there are these type of girls who would literally throw themselves out at any white boy. I'm not sure why, but it seems that they have this idea that Caucasian = hotness. Boys, being boys, well ... they snatch up every opportunity. What really bugs me though, is not only the immense cheapness of these girls, but the extent to which they will go out there and hunt these western boys. Don't get too eager and start asking me where this paradise of easy sex is, though. They're not the exotic Lucy Liu goddesses; most of them are just plain... fugly.

The heroine of this book reminds me a lot of those girls. Well, except she's not one of the fugly ones.
This one sentence wraps it up for me:

"I was a pretty dhampir, one who didn't mind getting into trouble and pulling crazy stunts. I became a novelty; they liked having me around for the fun of it."

Just like those girls know these foreigners only keep them around for the "fun" of it, and would just as easily toss them aside like a used condom.
Rose Hathaway is the kind of girl who'd hook up with a guy just because he's hot. She'll be with one guy, but thinking about another. She is constantly thinking about getting with guys:

"You flirted with the other guys simply for the sake of flirting. You flirted with Jesse in the hopes of getting semi-naked with him. He was a royal Moroi, and he was so hot, he should have worn awarning: flammable sign."

and yet when someone accuses her of being a slut, she's all indignant. What, if you don't go as far as sex, then it annuls any tendencies of sluttiness? Please. I have a lot of promiscuous friends - I'm not exactly wearing a promise ring myself - but at least have the decency to embrace your inner slut.
What irritates me even more with this character is how she would then go about referring to other dhampirs who offer "services" to morois as "bloodwhores". Bitch, please - you're not so far off yourself. Hypocritical characters are just not my thing. ESPECIALLY when they don't realize they're being hypocritical, or when the author doesn't realize s/he's writing a hypocritical character.

Now, there is a difference between confidence and arrogance; both I find charming in their own ways. But Rose Hathaway is neither. She is downright up herself, which is not a trait that I find endearing. I had to roll my eyes every time she described her sexiness...

"I knew I was pretty, but to Moroi boys, my body was more than just pretty: it was sexy in a risqué way."

"I knew perfectly well that there weren't a lot of girls at this school who looked as good in a bra as I did."

The first one or two times were perhaps forgivable. But the third time around, I really couldn't help but groan. But in fact, Rose seems to be only obsessed with looks (which is odd, considering her "occupation" as a guardian); you'd think considering what she's been through, she'd be a little less shallow than that.

"Me. Turning into Alberta. Her...and all the other female guardians. They're all leathery and stuff. Fighting and training and always being outdoors - they aren't pretty anymore." I paused."This...this life. It destroys them. Their looks, I mean."

But forget her vanity for a second. Let's take a look at her apparently "redeeming" characteristic; her loyalty to her best friend, Lissa. You know, the one whose relationship she sabotaged?

"Why don't you just leave her alone? Are you so messed up and desperate for attention that you can't tell when someone doesn't like you?" He scowled. "You're some crazy stalker, and she knows it. She's told me all about your weird obsession-how you're always hanging out in the attic together, how you set Ralf on fire to impress her. She thinks you're a freak, but she's too nice to say anything."

...and for no other reason than jealousy. Oh, and because this dude comes from a shamed family. Never mind how much her best friend obviously adores him. Never mind how much he obviously cares about her in return.
All in all, I just couldn't sympathize for Rose. She was an attempt of a kick-ass, independent, empowered young girl - but she came across as conceited, hypocritical, and shallow.

Then the princess girl? Lissa? I don't know ... she was just bland. None of the characters in the book stood out for me. Even the romance seemed kind of forced (not to mention predictable - but aren't they all?!). It seemed the only reason Dimitri and Rose had this vibe going on was because of their mutual hotness (a word frequently thrown out there in the book). There was this brief explanation of how it was also because of their shared extreme dedication in being guardians - which I didn't buy. I have an extreme dedication in journalism, but I don't fall in love with every dedicated journalists out there.

Plot-wise... meh. Nothing special. The story was about a vampire and her half-human, half-vampire guardian, who had run away from a "vampire academy" and at the beginning of the book were captured and returned. The secret behind their escape was obviously a device to keep us hooked, but when it was finally revealed, it didn't seem too "wow, omigod" for me.
The Vampires in this story didn't even seem like your traditional vampires, other than their weakness when exposed to direct sunlight, and their occasional "feeding". There was apparently another type of Vampire, which were called the "strigoi", which we didn't see much of; and even when we did, it wasn't even that exciting.

Editing-wise... could be better. "describrd" on page 142 is one of the errors that I remembered. There were more, but I can't be bothered flipping through the pages to find them.

In conclusion. Maybe I would've liked this better if I were... 15? 16? But then again, maybe not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Amanda It's funny because usually it's the people who make unconstructive comments who are in fact feeling "bitter" towards a negative review.

message 52: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Amen!

message 53: by Erfa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erfa That's why I don't like Rose as much as Lissa or Sydney. Sydney is way way better than her. Bloodlines is, for me, more fun than VA. Sure, Vampire Academy is a popular series, and I love it, but Rose is Rose. :)

message 54: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly I'll have to try Bloodlines :)

message 55: by Erfa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erfa Kelly wrote: "I'll have to try Bloodlines :)" If you liked Adrian in the Vampire Academy, you'll like Bloodlines. He's everywhere in the series:) And Sydney is Rose's sorta alter-ego. She's awesome, even if she makes some frustrating stick-to-the-rules-and-be-a-responsible-Alchemist decisions. I love her.

Scarlet I may have to try that myself XD

message 57: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Thanks Erfa!

Amanda I've heard of Bloodlines, but I was wary of starting it, since I wasn't sure if I would understand or "get the feel" of the book without reading the rest of the Vampire Academy series. If it stands perfectly well as its own series, I might give it a shot.

message 59: by Erfa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erfa Kelly wrote: "Thanks Erfa!" Anytime! ^_^

Molly Sounds like you read the book completely out of context.

Amanda Sounds like you don't understand the subjectiveness of context.

message 62: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Molly - what are you talking about? She read Vampire Academy and didn't like it (nor did I). So she did read it in context.... She hasn't read Bloodlines so she didn't read that out of context either...

message 63: by Turtlemonkey (new)

Turtlemonkey Sorry to but in but I'm a little confused by the review. From what I gathered the book is set in Romania, so what's with the 'Well they only want *white* guys? White guys this, white guys that,' Aren't Romanians caucasian? It just seemed like a really odd thing to include unless there's somekind of racial component to the book I'm missing.

Paige For someone who didn't like this book you put a lot of effort into disliking it and omg a vain teenager that's a shocker and for somebody who dislikes the character rose because of her vanity when you compare your self to those 'sluty' girls you know of and call them fugly your just as vain and conceited as you say rose is.

Amanda Turtlemonkey wrote: "Sorry to but in but I'm a little confused by the review. From what I gathered the book is set in Romania, so what's with the 'Well they only want *white* guys? White guys this, white guys that,' Ar..."

Race has nothing to do with the book. The whole point of my putting it in the review, was as a comparison.

(ie) the example of girls I know who are are attracted by white guys simply because they are white (because in their head, white = hot) reminds me a lot of Rose who are attracted by hot guys because they are hot. Or attracted by Moroi Princes because they are Moroi Princes.

In other words, they only value a guy as a decorative object, not as a person. I don't know how to make this explicit enough.

That's why I said in my review:

"The heroine of this book reminds me a lot of those girls."

Amanda Paige wrote: "For someone who didn't like this book you put a lot of effort into disliking it and omg a vain teenager that's a shocker and for somebody who dislikes the character rose because of her vanity when..."

First of all, I don't need to "put a lot of effort" in order to dislike something. You either dislike it, or you don't.

Second of all, when did I compare myself to those "slutty" girls?
I said "most of them are fugly", not most of them are fugly, and you should all fall in love with me instead, because I'm so beautiful and I look better in a bra than anyone else in my school.

Sheesh.

Paige By judging a person your putting your self above them you don't need to say all that shit for it to be seen that way and cool what ever you dislike this book that's ok tell us why you dislike the 'book' don't compare it to stupid irrelevant topics that you just want to have a bitch about over the Internet

Amanda Guess what, sweetcheeks, people judge things, and other people, all the time. I can say Kristen Stewart can't act if her life depended on it, it doesn't mean I'm "putting myself above her". I can say I think Sarah Jessica Parker looks like a horse, doesn't mean I think I'm better than her.

And if you actually read the review, you'll see that I did tell you why I didn't like the book. Also, that "topic" you said was "irrelevant", is actually a contextual elaboration of why I felt so vehemently as I did towards Rose - because she reminded me of real, live people whom I do not like nor respect at all.

Anyway, if I did want to "bitch over the internet", that's my bloody prerogative. I'm not shoving your head against the computer screen, screaming at you to Read my review, bitch!
You're free to leave any time, you know.

Paige Sweetcheeks?? Really and please feel free to elaborate why the racial status quo of your community has anything to do with this book and how the referents of the sluty girls who chase after white boys is necessary for you to express your views I'm not going to continue to discuss this with you because your obviously to suborn and up yourself to hear other people's opinion of what you say

Amanda One: Learn to punctuate.

Two: Learn to spell.

Three: I wasn't going to elaborate again, because it's up there in the review, but since I realize not all our reading comprehension are on par, I'll try to make it simple for you:

There are certain groups of people (view spoiler) who value boys by the colour of their skin. Which is white. Which, according to them, makes them OMGZ a Totally Hot Species.
I despise and disrespect these people, because of their shallowness, and because of their playing around with peoples' feelings.
These certain groups of people remind me of Rose because she, too only values people by shallow things: because they are "princes", or because they are "hot", and because she, too, plays around with peoples' feelings.

So when I read about ROSE, it made me associate her to people in real life who makes my blood boil. Which, by extension, affected my enjoyment of the book.

And that, is how it is fucking relevant to the book. If your head wasn't so clouded with OmG Fangurl rage when you read my review (view spoiler), then you would've been able to see that.

Bye, now.

Isabella Amanda wrote: "One: Learn to punctuate.

Two: Learn to spell.

Picking on a person because their comprehension and grammar is not as eloquent as yours is a low, unnecessary blow. Her opinion is in no way more or less valid as a result of this. Nor do you need to use obscene language.
I have many objections to your review and subsequent comments on this page but I do believe that it is your opinion and personal context so I will not berate you or list the various reasons which make it essential for Rose's character to be this way.
I will however state that every character is flawed and every character needs to start at a less-than perfect state so that they can make that progression and change throughout a series or novel.
I understand why you view her as such a repulsive or unlike-able character but perhaps do not judge quite so much or so intensely when clearly you have not read the entire series.

message 72: by ♡ Half Blood Prince ♡ (last edited Aug 12, 2012 03:08AM) (new)

♡ Half Blood  Prince ♡ Isabella wrote: "Amanda wrote: "One: Learn to punctuate.

Two: Learn to spell.

People coming in here, to her review, calling her "vain" and "conceited" and belittling HER opinion, and you tell her off for using obscene language??
oh trust me, she couldve said a lot worse. Wow. When will ppl learn that just because you dont use "obscene language" doesnt mean what you're saying is not offensive. Take a look at the original comment from paige, and tell me who's discrediting whose opinion, here.

Isabella I am not saying that anyone's opinion is right or wrong. Because the fact of the matter is that *no one's* opinion is right or wrong. An opinion is just that, an opinion and it is purely that of the person who is expressing it. I was not condoning Paige's 'insults' in any way. I was simply saying that it is not necessary for either party to insult one or the other to get their points across.
If everyone in this world would accept the actual concept of an opinion being owned by a singular person then we would be living in a much more peaceful place.

message 74: by Amanda (last edited Aug 12, 2012 03:19AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amanda Isabella wrote: "Her opinion is in no way more or less valid as a result of this. Nor do you need to use obscene language."

And what opinion is that? This one here:

your just as vain and conceited as you say rose is

Or this opinion that my opinions are "stupid" and I should keep them to myself, like in here:

When did she ever give any opinions on the book and when have I ever said her opinions on the book are not valid?

"every character is flawed and every character needs to start at a less-than perfect state so that they can make that progression and change throughout a series or novel."

I know. It's called character development. However, I'm completely entitled to make a judgement on her character as she was in the first book. If she didn't develop during the course of this one book, that's not my fault, nor my problem. I put money in buying the book, I put time in reading it, I can certainly reserve judgement on it.

"perhaps do not judge quite so much or so intensely when clearly you have not read the entire series."

No, you see, us readers are not obligated to "read the entire series" if we don't want to. We don't have to read an entire series in order to form an opinion of a particular book.

And anyway, if I did read the rest of the series, and I happen to hate it, give it a negative rating, put out my opinion out there, then I'll have people come up to me screaming "if you didn't like the first book, why the hell did you continue on to the rest of the books?!" etc etc ad infinitum. Smh.

message 75: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly I cannot believe that on a site like Goodreads, where people read books and then review them (shocking, I know), Amanda is being pilloried for not liking Vampire Academy. If you'd like you can start personally attacking me as well because I found it to be an abysmal book as well...for the same reasons Amanda did. I live halfway around the world from Amanda and we do not know each other. How can that be? It must be a conspiracy because don't we all have to have the same opinions on everything?!

Paige - review the book! If you like it, tell everyone why you did...why are you attacking someone you don't even know for her own opinion? Plus and I'm not trying to be rude, I can't even understand your posts because of the way you've written them...you write in one long sentence with no endings to any thought. Almost incomprehensible. You should try to work on that. Trying to articulate your thoughts on Goodreads is not the same as texting your BFF ;-)

Isabella & Turtlemonkey - I am not one to use coarse language much, but if I were Amanda I would be cussing like a sailor. She wrote an articulate review of Vampire Academy and laid out the reasons why she did not like it in a very logical way...it is not confusing. She was not saying race had anything to do with Vampire Academy...again, I don't understand where the confusion is coming from.

As an older female, I think it might be time for some of you younger girls to pick up a book with a little more substance than some of the YA fantasy books (and no, I'm not saying they are all bad...I have enjoyed many of them). It seems like we have more than a little hysteria going on here about a book about vampires...really? Go read Pride and Prejudice for a little break :)

message 76: by Erfa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erfa C'mon guys, we're on Goodreads to review books and stuff. It's our own opinion. Let's respect that, okay? This is so sad. Chill.

message 77: by Turtlemonkey (new)

Turtlemonkey Holy crap you girls are nervous. I never even read the book, I got linked to this review from a somethingawful forum discussion about goodreads not being a very good place to go to for finding new reading material. I'd enjoyed the automatic book recommendations so I was surprised to see the site had a bad light. When I saw this review I was genuinely curious as to why race had anything to do with the reviewer's dislike of the book as no, she doesn't specify within the review why it's at all relevant. Even so, her explanation of the comparison puts her in a bad light, she didn't like certain characters because she projected onto them people she didn't like from high school. Again, I never read the book and have no intention to, but as a review it seems in bad form to brush something off as bad writing because it reminds you of people you don't like.

Good god, you guys are one to talk about hysteria. This is the first time I've seen a goodreads discussion and the sheer immaturity and childishness from all sides around is not just astounding, but frankly absurd. If this thread is anything to go by then this community is indeed just another livejournal hive of bored, immature fangirls.

Also Pride and Prejudice? That's your response to 'go read something with more substance in it'? In a thread about yet another tween vampire jerk off novel? Lady, seeing that as you are quick to tell us you are of an older and more experienced generation, how about you step away from the romance section for once and pick up a book with an actual story in it?

message 78: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Amanda never said race had anything to do with the book. Turtlemonkey, sounds like you should read the book and then comment on someone's review. Also why don't you go take a little gander at my bookshelf and then tell me to pick up a book with an actual story in it...wow the ignorance of your comment is astounding...probably better for you to look at my bookshelf before you make a completely asinine comment like that.

The only hysteria came from those who could not handle others not liking a book they loved. Amanda wrote an articulate review of her own opinion...no hysteria in that. I merely clicked "like" because I actually liked her review. Then all of a sudden everyone is attacking her personally so I have been just standing up for her (and my) right to have an opinion about something. It is not hysteria to not like a particular book. To be honest, the only time I've ever even given this book another thought is when I see these ridiculous personal attacks coming into my inbox because I've commented at one time or other on this thread. I'm not hysterical about it...it doesn't even hold an iota of space in my brain. I've read too many amazing books to give this one another thought.

message 79: by Turtlemonkey (new)

Turtlemonkey You're nonstop posting in a thread about tween vampire porn posting about how people need to read more serious literature, like Jane Austen. That says a lot more about who you are as a reader than your high school reading list from fourty years ago.

I'm out. You guys should seriously be embarrassed for yourselves. I had no idea where people were getting the idea that goodreads was a bad website but having seen you guys in action goodreads' reputation makes a lot more sense. The review is childish more than it's helpful, the reactions to the review and vitriol against a differing opinion is even more childish, and the ensuing counter-reaction by the original poster is downright embarrassing to watch. Instead of this being a community about the love of reading and helping other readers out, instead it's just a platform for angry teenagers to vent out their high school hatred and middle aged women trying to be taken seriously by bragging about their online bookshelf. The fuck is wrong with you guys.

message 80: by Amanda (last edited Aug 12, 2012 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amanda Not that it's relevant, but the people I knew in school were lovely. The people I "projected the main character" to is not just a separate, inconsequential group of tweens. They are a select part of the demography, and if you knew anything about my (and I suspect, other south-east Asian) cultures, you would have heard of these groups.

I resent it that you brush it aside as "people I didn't like from high school", because it belittles my whole stance against these groups, when it is in fact not something to undermine. It is from these types of people and their type of mindset where countries such as mine have problems of children being easily whisked away by foreigners. Your snide "high school" comment makes it sound tripe and I am frankly disgusted you have the gall to comment on something you clearly have no context of whatsoever.

Also, there is no need for you to attack a fellow commenter's taste in books. If you think the "romance section" is strictly reserved for the younger generation, then I'm afraid you don't know much about literature.

message 81: by Kelly (last edited Aug 12, 2012 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Turtlemonkey wrote: "You're nonstop posting in a thread about tween vampire porn posting about how people need to read more serious literature, like Jane Austen. That says a lot more about who you are as a reader than ..."

Wow Tutlemonkey....get a life...I'm going to start cussing like a sailor if I have to read any more of your hatemongering...

message 82: by ♡ Half Blood Prince ♡ (last edited Aug 12, 2012 10:28AM) (new)

♡ Half Blood  Prince ♡ Wow i'm sorry this shite's still going on, Manda. If anyone should be ashamed or embarassed, then its the ignorant troll who Makes comments based on ASSUMPTIONS and possibly her own high school experiences.

Newsflash, just because you dislike people, doesnt mean they're your high school rivals, or competition for your love interest. Your assuming it thus only speaks largely of your own mindframe and level of growth.

Just keep reviewing and ignore all these disgustingly shallow-minded trolls, Manda.

message 83: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Well said, HalfBloodPrince, well said! Amen!

Amanda Thanks for backing me up, HBP & Kelly, and giving a more clear-headed response. I realize my own responses sounded a little hostile (and I don't regret nor apologize for that).

There's just one last thing that bugged me, which I missed earlier in my rage.

Turtlemonkey wrote: "but as a review it seems in bad form to brush something off as bad writing because it reminds you of people you don't like."

For the benefit of other potential readers out there, I have to clarify that nowhere in my review did I say that Vampire Academy had "bad writing".

In fact, if you enjoy quick, light reads, and can go about reading books without putting much thought into its depth, I would say you might enjoy Vampire Academy yourself.

Rose did remind me of the types of people I don't like. That is not bad writing. That just makes me abhor the main character, which is one of the reasons why I didn't like the book. If Turtlemonkey actually read my review, she/he/it would have perfectly understood that. For someone so intent on shaming me for my opinions, his/her/its own reading comprehension skills isn't exactly something to brag about.

message 85: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly LMAO Amanda!

Meghana I really don't think you understand Rose. She's a teenager and she's confused. If you've read the other books, you'll notice that she changes a lot.
So what if she thinks she's hot?
don't expect the characters to be perfect and moral all the time. Rose is an interesting character. You should try accepting her for who she is. You'll find out that she's a lot of fun.

Amanda Meghana, I'm not sure you understand that not everyone is going to like the same things you do. And no amount of "persuasion" is going to convince them to. There is a fine line between thinking you're hot (heck, I think I'm pretty), and acting like a conceited dipsh*t, and for me, Rose crossed that line. And I don't care if she changes in the other books; I have no interest in reading them, and this is a review of the first book.

message 88: by Scarlet (last edited Aug 21, 2012 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scarlet She commented on my review too. Makes me wonder if she has for other negative VA reviews as well. :/

Amanda Scarlet wrote: "She commented on my review too. Makes me wonder if she has for other negative VA reviews as well. :/"

*sigh* sorry about that. It seems that a number of avid VA fans have been cropping up a lot recently.

Scarlet Oh really? I wonder why that is.

Amanda Scarlet wrote: "Oh really? I wonder why that is."

I have no idea. All I know is, VA fans rarely comment on this review, but last week suddenly at least three of them suddenly started commenting at once. Turtlemonkey mentioned something about a forum leading to this review; I'm not sure I believe that, but if it's true, maybe other reviews are also linked.

Scarlet Hmm, perhaps. Makes me curious enough to go look for it. I've gotten three new people this month commenting on it, so I could be on the list as well, if it exists.

♡ Half Blood  Prince ♡ Turtlemonkey wrote: "I'm out. You guys should seriously be embarrassed for yourselves."

the number one on that list. But instead of the "3 Kinds of People That Need to Go Away", a more appropriate title would be "3 Kinds of People That Need to be Shot in the Head".

Amanda ♡ Half Blood Prince ♡ wrote: "Turtlemonkey wrote: "I'm out. You guys should seriously be embarrassed for yourselves."

heheh. you know what ppl like turtlemonkey, you know, who leaves a debate that they started, remind me of? ..."

Whoops, GR didn't give me a notification that you commented. Lol. leaving a debate/discussion you started without hearing the other side is like pretending you're too good to engage, when really you're just:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

♡ Half Blood  Prince ♡ bahahaha
and all their troll comments are little more than

message 96: by Kelly (last edited Sep 03, 2012 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Hilarious! Soooo true...Amanda and HBP - both are those are awesome! Totally feels like we've been dealing with craziness.

message 97: by Claire (new)

Claire Kelly wrote: "I cannot believe that on a site like Goodreads, where people read books and then review them (shocking, I know), Amanda is being pilloried for not liking Vampire Academy. If you'd like you can sta..."

Thanks for a message of sense!

message 98: by Claire (new)

Claire Erfa wrote: "C'mon guys, we're on Goodreads to review books and stuff. It's our own opinion. Let's respect that, okay? This is so sad. Chill."

Thanks for the comment! I agree completely. Then again, I once heard a story about someone crying because it was suggested that a Tom DeLillo book be shelved in sci-fi as well as literature!

message 99: by Claire (new)

Claire Turtlemonkey wrote: "Holy crap you girls are nervous. I never even read the book, I got linked to this review from a somethingawful forum discussion about goodreads not being a very good place to go to for finding new ..."

My goodness. Everyone calm down. This is a site where we can all express our opinions, and there's no need to tear someone else down for feeling differently about a book than you do. If you genuinely have a book suggestion for us--something we might not all have heard of--please, I'm eager to hear it.

message 100: by Kelly (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly Claire! Thank goodness you're here...we need more voices of reason :)