Darlene's Reviews > Kildee House

Kildee House by Rutherford G. Montgomery

Jun 12, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

I read this book aloud with my daughters. It is a 1950 Newbery Honor Book.

Upon his retirement, Jerome Kildee builds a house under a giant redwood tree in the wilderness surrounded by 100 acres of woods and hillside. Although his intention was to remain reclusive, he opens both his home and his heart to his woodland friends which include raccoons, skunks, mice, rats, and even a deer. His home is between two feuding neighbours: the Eppys and the Cabots. When Jerome befriends Emma Lou Eppy it piques the curiosity of Donald Roger Cabot and both children often come to visit him. As the animals multiply and take over Jerome's little house, Emma Lou and Donald Roger work together to find a solution. Doing so, repairs the rift between the feuding families.

We loved this book! My children love animals, so we really enjoyed reading how Jerome lived his life with raccoons in his wood stove and skunks under his bed!

I have often daydreamed about what life would be like to live in the wilderness away from technology and surrounded by nature. I would think it would be a peaceful existence - a simpler time. As long as I had books to read, I could live without television and the internet!

This is a wonderful book to enjoy with your children!

MY RATING: 4.5 stars!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kildee House.