Stephanie's Reviews > Nightspell

Nightspell by Leah Cypess

Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: ya-fantasy

Dark, gorgeous, creepy and utterly compelling. I loved Leah Cypess's first book, MISTWOOD, but NIGHTSPELL is even better, by several orders of magnitude, which is saying a LOT.

As someone who eats up both court intrigue and family novels like chocolate, this was pretty much my perfect book - nonstop (and VERY tense) escalating layers of intrigue, grounded by very real and heartbreaking emotional stakes, and peppered with great action scenes. I also absolutely loved the sibling dynamics in this book. There's a very slight hint of tragic romance in this book, but it's SO not the point as compared to the relationships among the siblings, which are all-important and so believable and strong.

This was my favorite high fantasy novel (for any age group) in ages. I can't wait to read whatever Leah Cypess writes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightspell.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Steph, this sounds amazing! Do I have to read the first book, or can I dive into this one?

Stephanie Jenn wrote: "Steph, this sounds amazing! Do I have to read the first book, or can I dive into this one?"

You definitely don't need to read the first one first - this one stands alone beautifully. (It's only a sequel in that there's one continuing character, but you don't need to know her backstory to follow everything that's going on.)