Rachel's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Jan 28, 13

bookshelves: arcs, favorites, brrainnsss
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read from June 08 to 10, 2011, read count: 2

I finished this book awhile ago, but I've been avoiding writing my review. The only reason I can think of is that I really don't want my first read glow to go away. You know that time after you read a really spectacular book when you're just sitting around, thinking about how wonderful it was and going over passages you loved? I think I've been doing that for two weeks now. Every time I think about Warm Bodies, I wonder at how good it was.

Warm Bodies follows R, a zombie unlike those we normally read about. R thinks, deeply, about things, speaks five syllables in a row, and has real dreams. He can't remember his life, but has a fascination with life; longing to know who he was and what he did. When R eats the brain of a teenage boy, he experiences flashbacks into the boy's life, mostly featuring his first love, Julie. R becomes enthralled with Julie and they begin a tenuous relationship unlike any in this barren world before. As Julie and R become closer, both experience impossible changes; changes that could possibly affect the entire world.

Words cannot explain how much I loved R and his voice. From the first page, I knew his narration was different. Because he can't speak but a word or two at a time, most of his narration comes straight from his thoughts. There are pages filled with R simply talking about what he does all day, and it's riveting stuff. My favorite descriptions come when he talks about groaning, mostly in the beginning of the novel.

R is also genuine and eager. Perhaps this is because he's dead, and things can't really get much worse? Whatever reason, it makes him endearing and utterly likeable, despite being a zombie. It's hard to believe I would ever feel anything but disgust for a zombie, but it happened with this book.

I also liked Julie. A lot. She's a kick-butt kind of girl, the kind we don't get to read about much in books where the protagonist is male. The girl can take care of herself. She's also got a sense of humor, something that many authors would be tempted to eliminate when writing a serious zombie novel.

UPDATE: Apparently he's writing a sequel now, so I suppose this doesn't apply anymore... I'm not going to complain! :) Can I also point out that I love that it's a standalone book? Don't get me wrong, I'm a major series lover. But I also just love books and authors that just don't need to leave you aggravated and desperate for a sequel that many times you don't particularly want. I like the way it ended; it was open in a way the reader can interpret for themselves, but in a slightly leading way.

Isaac Marion is taking a different approach to the zombie novel, one that could have been disastrous. Warm Bodies is anything but. It is well-written, poignant, funny, and memorable. Easily my favorite read this year.

More reviews on my blog: Paper Cuts

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Isaac Marion
“I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses.”
Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Isaac Marion
“What wonderful thing didn't start out scary?”
Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

06/09/2011 page 155
01/27/2013 "Reread before the movie! :) Gotta have it fresh, plus it's just an amazing book."
01/28/2013 page 155
64.0% "This is just as good as I remember! :) Nothing like a book living up to your own hype."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilyana (new) - added it

Lilyana You have been on a five star book streak. Congrats!

Wendy Darling Such a great book. Nice review!

Rachel Wendy Darling wrote: "Such a great book. Nice review!"

Thanks! :) I'm still reeling at how much I loved it. Lol.

message 4: by Alethea (new) - added it

Alethea A "But I also love to see a book written towards young adults that isn't a series." Did you know it's not YA and the author is annoyed people have labeled it so? He says, "The only purpose I can see for the YA label is to insult authors who thought they wrote a book for grownups." You can read the rest (and my reaction) at http://www.readnowsleeplater.com/2012...

Rachel Alethea wrote: ""But I also love to see a book written towards young adults that isn't a series." Did you know it's not YA and the author is annoyed people have labeled it so? He says, "The only purpose I can see ..."

I actually know that now, but I didn't when I first read it! Based on what I'd seen I figured it was YA, though I found it to be more adult than expected.

I saw him talking about it the other day. I generally like him, but I'm not a big fan of those comments. I think people need to really understand what they're talking about before they say such things. Your article makes a ton of good points, and I think eventually, with enough passionate people, young adult can get a good label, rather than the relatively bad rep it gets now.

I think I'm going to fix that statement! I haven't looked at this review pretty much since I wrote it. Lol. :)

message 6: by Alethea (new) - added it

Alethea A Rachel wrote: "Alethea wrote: ""But I also love to see a book written towards young adults that isn't a series." Did you know it's not YA and the author is annoyed people have labeled it so? He says, "The only pu..."

Haha, thanks! ;) I do understand where he's coming from but also think he's not making the most of this opportunity to broaden his fan base...

message 7: by Gavin (new) - added it

Gavin Great review! I'll definitely grab a copy of Warm Bodies now.

Fantastic article! Thanks for providing the link. I'm with you, I understand the authors POV but personally I still like YA as a genre.

message 8: by Alethea (new) - added it

Alethea A Gavin wrote: "Great review! I'll definitely grab a copy of Warm Bodies now.

Thanks, Gavin! I hope you like it; I sure did, even if he's kind of being a jerk, haha.

Rachel Alethea wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Alethea wrote: ""But I also love to see a book written towards young adults that isn't a series." Did you know it's not YA and the author is annoyed people have labeled it so? He say..."

I completely agree. I understand how you could be a little upset that your book might be viewed in a way other than how you intended it, but I know the association with YA has done almost nothing but help him. It may have lost a reader or two here and there from the adult genre, but I think he probably gained many more. There was a better way of going about making the statement he's made.

message 10: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash I didn't write my review yet for that very same reason.

Rachel :) It can take time to digest! I reread it just before the movie came out and it was just the same.

Michelle I totally agree! It was so delightful!

Rachel Michelle wrote: "I totally agree! It was so delightful!"

Yay!! :) Have you seen the movie yet? It's cute, but takes a rather different tone. Not a bad tone, but a different one.

message 14: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye Cooper Great review! Loved this book as well ;)

Rachel Skye wrote: "Great review! Loved this book as well ;)"

Aww, thanks! It's so great. I'm so glad he decided to begin writing a sequel! :)

message 16: by Tammy (new) - rated it 1 star

Tammy Really? What a waste of time.