Clare's Reviews > Lady of Light and Shadows

Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, paranormal
Recommended to Clare by: Coffeentea
Read from June 01 to 02, 2011

I love, love LOVE this book! Unfortunately I had some misgivings when I picked up this series because of the cheesy covers but I'm beyond glad that I did. Some minor spoilers might be disclosed in the review.

The first part of the story had less action, more characterization. The reader is treated into the insight of Ellie and Rain's struggles - Rain wants to get married as quickly as possible and spirit Ellie back to the Fading Lands, Ellie is trying to deal with her magic that pops up at unexpected moments. And of course, the readers are dealt with a tantalizing titbit with regards to Ellie's REAL parentage. It was all too easy to love Ellie, her family and the Fae - especially when the author constructed the Eld Mages to be utterly evil without redemption.

Lauriana, Ellie's mother is written perfectly as well. After all, every mother only wants the best for her child. What she did appeared to be selfish to the readers however it is clear that her actions were performed out of fear for her child. When she eventually finds out that her actions had in fact brought Ellie to harm, she did the right thing, therefore proving that despite whatever motive she had, she does love Ellie.

The storyline begins immediately where Lord of the Fading Lands end. Ellie as a character is slowly explained and she grows in this story into someone willing to face that she does in fact, possess magic. The motives behind many characters are explained and it is seen that the Mages of Eld has penetrated Celierian society and are gaining control of the nobles. Many key players are introduced in this novel that will play an important role in guiding Ellie's path in the next few stories. All in all, a great read - If you enjoy fantasy and action I definitely recommend this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady of Light and Shadows.