Jen's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: could-not-finish, young-adult

Made it to page 108 before deciding that life is too short and there are too many books on my to-read list for me to spend any more time on this one.

Up to this point Beauty Queens was reading a bit like Miss Congeniality meets Lost, which could have made for some great comedy if Bray wasn't beating readers over the head with a laundry list of social rights commentary. Seriously, woman! Pick one issue and write yourself some sympathetic characters and a compelling story. Don't try to solve it all in one poorly written book! And please don't just resort to smear campaigns. You're a writer! Surely you can do better than a handful of stereotypes tossed together with a couple of noble victims.

As a reader, books like this annoy me. But as a teacher thinking about the kind of books I want my students to be reading, books like this really frustrate me. I want my students to be challenged without being condescended to. And I want them to be made to think without being manipulated. Teens are bullied enough by their peers.

I wish YA authors would spend more time asking questions than giving answers. Our kids will never learn to think critically if the adults in their lives don't begin to see how important it is to tread carefully in their interactions with adolescents, including the way they write books.
_______________

Note: This is a great review, if you want a more detailed explanation of why this book is so lame. Read it. It's fantastic. And if the recipe bit at the beginning seems too weird, just skip down to her real review.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

message 1: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 I look forward to your review on this one :)

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy That's too bad. I really enjoyed her Gemma Doyle series and was wondering about this one. Guess I'll skip it.

message 3: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 Life is too short to read bad books. I'd rather read a good review of a bad book!

Stefania I inadvertently used the same combination of Lost meets Miss Congeniality! I guess it's really true!