Karen B.'s Reviews > Raising Stony Mayhall

Raising Stony Mayhall by Daryl Gregory

Jul 09, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from July 05 to 07, 2011

This was a goodreads firstreads win

In the beginning this book was very touching, and normally I don't read "zombie" or "vampire" books but yes, this is a new kind of zombie book. It's a lot more about love and acceptance of those who are different. I am coming to really like the character of Stony. It's one of those books I don't want to put down.

When Stony goes out into the world it changed a little for me. But it is still about accepting those who are different and not fearing them. I think Stony represents the ideal of trying to live in peace with those who are different. It reminded me of the Lepers on Molakia (sp?); the discrimination against people of different races, religions, cultures. I remember watching the movie "The Elephant Man" and seeing that discrimination as well. Of course in this fictional account the living dead at one point in their "fever" state are dangerous to the general public. But the average American citizen doesn't want to see beyond that 24-48 hour period.

The treatment of the LDs at the hands of jailers who were their tormentors made me cry and reflected the German concentration camps of WWII.

It is Stony's spirit of love and acceptance, which I believe he learned from his adopted family, is what made me love this book as Stony struggles to have both groups try to survive together on earth. His spirit lives on and it's what makes it a good book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Stony Mayhall.

07/06/2011 page 197
44.0% "very different and enjoyable so far"