Felicia's Reviews > The Dragon Keeper

May 31, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in May, 2011

Robin Hobb wrote a few of my FAVORITE series, Assassin's Apprentice and the Liveship Traders, so I'm always a fan of her books. This one was as well written as the others, but it felt slow to start, and as soon as the story picked up, the book ended! JUST AS I GOT INTO IT!

So, I guess I should be waiting for the next book excitedly to continue the story, but considering the subject matter of the book, I'm a bit reluctant to follow up with the series, for totally squeamish personal reasons. The whole story follows dragons, MALFORMED dragons who can't really take care of themselves. I am a person who's favorite movie is Babe. Yeah, the pig movie. While at the movies watching the Peter Jackson King Kong redo, I became so hysterical when they were capturing the ape that I had to leave the theatre and NOT GO BACK IN. Ever. Yeah, so I'm kind of irrational when reading about animals in danger, or even threatened. So basically, the set up for the next books is gonna lead to a LOT OF DRAGON TRAUMA, I JUST KNOW IT! And I dunno if I can personally hang in there. Robin Hobb is great at torturing her characters, and I'm cool with doing that to humans, but doing it to the dragons may not be something I can sign up for, ultimate happy ending or not.

I know this review doesn't help anyone, haha, but whatever. That's the deal. The book was slow to start but ok, and I'm sure it will continue wonderfully. For those who aren't a little bit crazy :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon Keeper.

02/02 marked as: read

Rebecca the first of the Liveship books took me AGES to get into but once i got halfway through i loved it and plowed through the rest of the series. am hoping these will be the same. but am distracted by rereading the Farseer Triliogy AGAIN. :D

message 2: by Gillian (new) - added it

Gillian I admit that I stalled really early on in this book. I still have it in my to-read stack, but it's near the bottom for the moment. Just as you said, it's a little slow in the beginning.

Tara I also had a hard time getting into this book. I read it awhile ago, so I can't remember all of the ins and outs of it, but I do remember not really enjoying it much and not really liking the characters. I think part of my dislike for the characters was because I read the first book in the Temeraire series (In His Majesty's Service) by Naomi Novik right before reading this book and absolutely fell head over heels inlove with the dragon, Temeraire. I just felt depressed for the dragons in this book and didn't particularly care for the human characters. I'm debating whether I'm going to read the sequel, but if I do, I won't read it right after reading one of the books in the Temeraire series.

Felicia Tara wrote: "I also had a hard time getting into this book. I read it awhile ago, so I can't remember all of the ins and outs of it, but I do remember not really enjoying it much and not really liking the char..."

Oh yeah, Temeraire is SO HARD to follow up on. Anything with Dragons, really, can't compare (except for the Anne McCafferty series from old). I have another dragon book in my Kindle, Adimantium something or other I gotta get to. But yeah, totally agree with your review.

message 5: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Kimbriel It's okay, Felicia -- I couldn't read about malformed dragons, either, not as the main subject. I'm starting to write a book about a wingless dragon, but in my books, there is always hope!

You gotta write what you believe. ;^)

C.G. I felt the same way about this book, Felicia. I found it very slow going and only kept on because it was a library book that I had to get back. Did not like the malformd dragons even though one or two of them did sound like interesting characters.

Regarding Temeraire, I like him, did not like any other characters in the books. I did persevere and read the first three books but didn't like any of them. Wonderful as Temeraire was, he was not enough to make me like the books. (And I love dragons - Pern, The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, eg)

message 7: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Trust Robin! the second book is great!

Mario Delgado You HAVE to read the next one. Read it with the idea that the dragons aren't animals, because they aren't and this is a big theme of the book. The last line of the second book is glorious, in my opinion. :)

message 9: by Estara (last edited Jun 02, 2011 11:14AM) (new)

Estara Katharine wrote: "I'm starting to write a book about a wingless dragon, but in my books, there is always hope!"

True and also: ooh that sounds tasty!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I felt the same way about Peter Jackson's King Kong! I was completely wigged by how mean they were to the ape.

Michael Just wanted to chime in and let you know that it was supposed to be ONE book but it got split. Give the next one a go before you write it off :)

Christine Don't hesitate to keep reading! I agree the first book is slow but it does pick up. You won't feel sorry for the dragons for too long at least not for the main narrative dragon. It's a book about personal growth and acceptance. Remember you always have to start at the bottom to work your way up.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson I know just what you mean when it comes to reading/watching stuff with animals, I hated the re-do of king kong!

message 14: by Mairead (new) - added it

Mairead This review does the exact opposite of not helping, FYI. 101% relate. I too can handle it with humans, but in no way can the same be said if the subjects are dragons or animals. PS excited to find out about Fitz's return in "Fool's Assassin"! Was searching Goodreads to find friends who read and enjoyed Farseer and Tawny Man and it's just you and one other. Craziness!

message 15: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Bruce I've tried to read it 4 different times now..about to try it for the fifth time tonight..
I love everything else Robin has written..Hoping to include RWC soon!

message 16: by Molly (new)

Molly Tara, I just read the same Temeraire book and had the same reaction to The Dragon Keeper!