Drew Nelson's Reviews > The Maze Runner

M 50x66
May 31, 2011

it was ok
Read from May 13 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I have mixed feelings about the maze runner. The milieu is interesting in some ways, and outrageously improbable in others. I really don't mind outrageously improbable as long as you can give me answers that make sense in the context of your universe. Why is this here? Who built this? Why would they do such a thing? What are they hoping to accomplish? Those sorts of things... really really don't make sense as the maze runner runs its course. I kept saying to myself 'but if he does make sense of all this man will I be amazed.' I am not amazed.

Leaving that aside, the main character is okay, a few of the other characters are moderately developed, but most are bland and one dimensional. I would say that the 'girl character' is actually one of the more bland and meaningless. He lampshades this like he does most things dealing with memory loss by having his character feel more for her than he ought to... because he's probably forgotten why he used to feel that way. Hey, now I don't have to develop a real friendship.

Point the third: the slang of the gladeiators was really annoying.

I really did enjoy the feel of danger and mystery in the maze. The grievers are an interesting and... gross badguy. I enjoyed them as well. I wanted more to happen out in the maze. The description feels muddy, and we never really got to explore and find anything interesting. You probably know nearly as much about the maze as I do after reading the book after reading this sentence: it is scary and old and has grievers in it sometimes. I wanted to enjoy this book more than I did, but I needed a little bit more plausability from the universe, and I don't need a lot. I read books about magic ogres and wizards all the time, and this sort of thing doesn't usually get to me. I guess I just like a world that's at least internally well put together. Tell me whatever you want about the rules that govern your universe, but make your world fit within them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.