Charles's Reviews > Infernal Devices

Infernal Devices by K.W. Jeter

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: kindle, scifi
Read from May 31 to June 05, 2011

While I admired the author's ability to emulate the tone of a Victorian author and paint the story's images in my mind, that was unfortunately countered by a lack of characters I cared about and a plot I couldn't buy into. I had the feeling that the only character for whom the author had any compassion was the dog -- in fact I wonder if the author would have preferred to have written an ending where the Brown Leather Man actually succeeded in his final goal.

Other negatives for me: the idea that one man had developed so many different ground-breaking inventions, the general lack of any true science behind any of those inventions and other pseudo-science aspects in the story (in effect making this a fantasy book, not a sci-fi book), and I didn't care for the constant use of long monologues by various characters to explain the plot, making me feel like I was watching a campy B movie.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infernal Devices.

05/31/2011
5.0% "Reading for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy eBook Club -- looks intriguing so far"
06/02/2011
18.0% "Kind of interesting, but so far no characters I care about, so I'm getting pessimistic about liking this."
06/03/2011
75.0% "Not exactly blowing me away, but I guess I'm going to finish it now that I've gotten this far. :-)"