Kassiah's Reviews > Shut Out

Shut Out by Kody Keplinger

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: high-school, reviewed-fictionators-rec, ya, pub-2011
Read from June 20 to 21, 2011

I knew a boy just like Cash Sterling when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I also knew one just like Randy, too. That's one of the things that's so great about Shut Out--it's authentic. I felt like I knew these characters, like I could be right there plotting to win the war along with them.

Did I love this book as much as I loved the DUFF? No. There really is no comparison to Wesley Rush for me, but I liked Lissa as a character more than I liked Bianca. I know that the purpose of this isn't really to compare the two, but I had to tell you that, just in case. I also wavered on my rating and really wish I could give half stars, because if I could, I would give it 3-1/2 stars. I didn't want people to flip out and see only 3 stars though, because I slightly more than likeit, but I don't love it.

There is, in my opinion, a huge hole in the plot that I cannot discuss because it would be giving away way too much. But, it definitely left me scratching my head and making me wonder if I had misread something. I didn't, but I suppose it could have been misinterpretation on my part. Whatever, I know that you'll stop reading my reviews after seeing this rambling chickenscratch.

Other than that, though, I thought everything else was right on: growing up and being out of control, where you sit in the cafeteria after a breakup, support and friendship where you least expect it. It was good.

From the friendships to the rivalries to the "uhmahgawd does he like me" feeling, Keplinger definitely gets this genre and this group of people, and I really enjoy her style. Her characters have depth and realistic dialogue. Plus, it's hot and has a little throwback to The DUFF in the form of Harrison Carlyle. Add in a little NSYNC and Cosmo representing their Bible, and it's win in my book. I think you should read it :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shut Out.

06/20/2011 page 114
42.0% "My god. Am I allowed to say I totally want him to take her in the library? Lol" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

caren Dude, ILY for the "uhmahgawd does he like me" heheheheh.