Stephi C's Reviews > The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: don-t-ever-forget, worth-a-reread
Read in August, 2011

Officially my favorite book ever now. Definitely worth a read and very quotable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Bees.

Quotes Stephi Liked

Sue Monk Kidd
“Knowing can be a curse on a person's life. I'd traded in a pack of lies for a pack of truth, and I didn't know which one was heavier. Which one took the most strength to carry around? It was a ridiculous question, though, because once you know the truth, you can't ever go back and pick up your suitcase of lies. Heavier or not, the truth is yours now.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I hadn't been out to the hives before, so to start off she gave me a lesson in what she called 'bee yard etiquette'. She reminded me that the world was really one bee yard, and the same rules work fine in both places. Don't be afraid, as no life-loving bee wants to sting you. Still, don't be an idiot; wear long sleeves and pants. Don't swat. Don't even think about swatting. If you feel angry, whistle. Anger agitates while whistling melts a bee's temper. Act like you know what you're doing, even if you don't. Above all, send the bees love. Every little thing wants to be loved.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“And when you get down to it, Lily, that is the only purpose grand enough for a human life. Not just to love but to persist in love.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I wanted to know what happened when two people felt it. Would it divide the hurt in two, make it lighter to bear, the way feeling someone's joy seemed to double it?”

Sue Monk Kidd
“It was the first time I'd ever said the words to another person, and the sound of them broke open my heart.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“After you get stung, you can't get unstung
no matter how much you whine about it.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Someone who thinks death is the scariest thing doesn't know a thing about life.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“The world will give you that once in awhile, a brief timeout; the boxing bell rings and you go to your corner, where somebody dabs mercy on your beat-up life.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Every human being on the face of the earth has a steel plate in his head, but if you lie down now and then and get still as you can, it will slide open like elevator doors, letting in all the secret thoughts that have been standing around so patiently, pushing the button for a ride to the top. The real troubles in life happen when those hidden doors stay closed for too long.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“You can tell which girls lack mothers by the look of their hair...”

Sue Monk Kidd
“You have to know when to prod and when to be quiet, when to let things take their course.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Nobody around here had ever seen a lady beekeeper till her. She liked to tell everybody that women made the best beekeepers, 'cause they have a special ability built into them to love creatures that sting. It comes from years of loving children and husbands.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“We walked along the river with the words streaming behind us like ribbons in the night.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“In a weird way I must have loved my little collection of hurts and wounds. They provided me with some real nice sympathy, with the feeling I was exceptional...What a special case I was.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I realized it for the first time in my life: there is nothing but mystery in the world, how it hides behind the fabric of our poor, browbeat days, shining brightly, and we don't even know it.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I know you've run away - everybody gets the urge to do that some time - but sooner or later you'll want to go home.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Honeybees depend not only on physical contact with the colony, but also require it's social companionship and support. Isolate a honeybee from her sisters and she will soon die.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“There is nothing perfect...only life.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I have noticed that if you look carefully at people's eyes the first five seconds they look at you, the truth of their feelings will shine through for just an instant before it flickers away.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“There's nothing like a song about lost love to remind you how everything precious can slip from the hinges where you've hung it so careful.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“You gotta imagine what's never been.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Drifting off to sleep, I thought about her. How nobody is perfect. How you just have to close your eyes and breathe out and let the puzzle of the human heart be what it is.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Standing there, I loved myself and I hated myself. That's what the black Mary did to me, made me feel my glory and my shame at the same time.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“It's something everybody wants-for someone to see the hurt done to them and set it down like it matters.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Now and then sprays of rain flew over and misted our faces. Every time I refused to wipe away the wetness. It made the world seem so alive to me. I couldn't help but envy the way a good storm got everyone's attention.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“We can't think of changing our skin color. Change the world - that's how we gotta think.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Actually, you can be bad at something...but if you love doing it, that will be enough. - August Boatwright”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I'll write this all down for you," I said. "I'll put it in a story." I don't know if that's what he wanted to ask me, but it's something everybody wants--for someone to see the hurt done to them and set it down like it matters.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I watched him, filled with tenderness and ache, wondering what it was that connected us. Was it the wounded places down inside people that sought each other out, that bred a kind of love between them?”

Sue Monk Kidd
“What's wrong with living in a dream world? You have to wake up.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Where had I been that I didn't know about imaginary friends? I could see the point of it. How a lost part of yourself steps out and remind you who you could be with a little work.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“You don't have to place your hand on Mary's heart to get strength and consolation and rescue, and all the other things we need to get through life. You can place it right here on your own heart. Your own heart.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“That's what I told myself five hundred times: impossibility. I can tell you this much: the word is a great big log thrown on the fires of love. ~Page 133.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“If you need something from somebody always give that person a way to hand it to you.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Look, I know you meant well creating the world and all, but how could you let it get away from you like this? How come you couldn't stick with your original idea of paradise? People's lives were a mess.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“The body knows things a long time before the mind catches up to them. I was wondering what my body knew that I didn't.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“In the photograph by my bed my mother is perpetually smiling on me. I guess I have forgiven us both, although sometimes in the night my dreams will take me back to the sadness, and I have to wake up and forgive us again.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“You have to find a mother inside yourself. We all do. Even if we already have a mother, we still have to find this part of ourselves inside”

Sue Monk Kidd
“It's your time to live, don't mess it up.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I can't think of anything I'd rather have more than somebody lovin' me.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“When it's time to die, go ahead and die, and when it's time to live, live. Don't sort-of-maybe live, but live like you're going all out, like you're not afraid.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“I didn't know what to think, but what I felt was magnetic and so big it ached like the moon had entered my chest and filled it up. The only think I could compare it to was the feeling I got one time when I walked from the peach stand and saw the sun spreading across the late afternoon, setting the top of the orchard on fire while darkness collected underneath. Silence had hovered over my head, beauty multiplying in the air, the trees so transparent I felt like I could see through t something pure inside them. My chest ached then, too, this very same way.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“It was the in-between time, before day leaves and night comes, a time I’ve never been partial to because of the sadness that lingers in the space between going and coming.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“The hardest thing on earth is choosing what matters.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“August: You know, somethings don't matter that much...like the color of a house...But lifting a person's heart--now that matters. The whole problem with people--"
Lily: They don't know what matters and what doesn't...
August:...They know what matters, but they don't choose it...The hardest thing on earth is to choose what matters.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Regrets don't help anything.”

Sue Monk Kidd
“Have you ever written a letter you knew you could never mail but you needed to write it anyway?”

Sue Monk Kidd
“You think you want to know something, and then once you do, all you can think about is erasing it from your mind.”