Rachel M.'s Reviews > Henry V

Henry V by William Shakespeare

F_50x66
May 31, 11

This play is good, although not as interesting as some of Shakespeare's other history plays, like Richard II and Henry IV, Part 1. My favorite parts of this play are the speeches that King Henry gives to his men before they go into battle, especially the often-quoted St. Crispin's Day Speech. However, some of the non-war related speeches can get longwinded. This play focuses more heavily on the consequences and nature of war than the other history plays I've read. In fact, this is supposed to be the history to read if you're interested in war. On a different note, the last scene in the play, wherein Henry woos Katherine of France, is very mushy, but somewhat sweet at the same time. It's hard for me to believe that the Henry portrayed in this play is the same one that was in Henry IV, Part I because it seems like Henry has really grown up. Most of Shakespeare's history plays have relatively the same plot, which involves contention for the crown of England or some type of war. I am interested in reading the rest of Shakespeare's histories to see how they compare to each other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Henry V.