Rachel M.'s Reviews > A Woman After God's Own Heart

A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George

F_50x66
Jul 26, 11

Read from May 31 to July 26, 2011

I bought this book thinking it would give an insightful and thoughtful perspective on how to cultivate the heart of David as a woman. However, instead of doing this, it gives a legalistic, radical view of how to be the "perfect" wife and mother, aka, a doormat who lets everyone walk all over her. Elizabeth George comes off as an arrogant, condescending woman who thinks she's perfect. I like Beth Moore so much better than Mrs. George because although Mrs. Moore is spiritual and obviously has a lot of spiritual wisdom to impart to women, she is real. She neither tries to portray herself as someone who is perfect nor as someone who has a legalistic relationship with the Lord. Seriously, I would hate to be Mrs. George's child. She teaches her children that they cannot watch TV unless they are doing something while they watch it. They can't become engrossed in a TV show. She teaches that as a woman, you must not disagree with your husband about anything, even something as simple as returning a lamp because it doesn't match the decor of a room. I could go on and on. Despite all of these problems, Mrs. George does have some valuable things to say. Just keep in mind that you will have to ignore a lot of what she says though, because she takes such Biblical concepts as submissiveness and takes it to the extreme.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman After God's Own Heart.