Nomes's Reviews > Angel Arias

Angel Arias by Marianne de Pierres

Oct 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, aussie-ya, post-apocalyptic-dystopia
Read from August 31 to September 08, 2011

Angel Arias starts right after where Burn Bright left off ~ and it begins with the same dynamic energy that Burn Bright burned with ;) But where Burn Bright was mysterious, the world and plot swirling around the reader, Angel Arias has a different tone. It has an urgency and plenty of action, but this time Naif (Retra) is much more sure of herself.

The plot in Angel Arias is ambitious, secrets are revealed, unveiling more mysteries which showcase extraordinary world building: the world Marianne has created is intricate yet accessible. It's a daring kind of read, and just as original in flavour as the first book in the series. The scope of the book is fantastic (from time with the pirates, and seeing more islands), and I think the plot is best explored with no idea where it is heading (no spoilers here).

Aussie author Marianne de Pierres has a talent for throwing her readers alongside her characters in such a way that you are kept on your toes: the action is blended beautifully with plot twists and developments, the reader discovers things alongside the protagonist. There is foreshadowing, creating tension and atmosphere, but not clue-ing the reader in enough to make the plot predictable. It was the opposite. I was constantly on edge, even questioning the loyalties of certain characters, friends who suddenly seem like foe and enemies who have shades of goodness shining through.

I loved the larger scope of the book and yet somehow I missed that gothick-y vibe of Ixion (I am nostalgic by nature, haha). I cannot compare reading the first book in the series to read Angel Arias. I think I was so startled in my love of Burn Bright , like the first taste of chocolate, it was addictive, startling and delectable. Angel Arias did not stun me in the same way despite still being driven by that intoxicating vibe that made it impossible to put down.

It is not the kind of book I am normally drawn to (action, worlds, secrets ~ I am more often drawn to books that are less plot-driven, more character-driven) so perhaps I did not enjoy this as much as I *should* have. I think my enjoyment is more indicative of my tastes as a reader than the quality of this book. This is a book to enthral and ignite imaginations. Despite my wishing for more depth in the characters (with personal motivations, relationships) it is obvious the author cares for her characters (yet also has no qualms about putting them in harms way).

A small teaser: I was (incredibly, delightfully) pleased when the story suddenly swivelled, giving readers a taste of Lenoir's POV! A real surprise, it widened the scope of the story, and also, Lenoir is one enigmatic guy, so it was enlightening being inside his head).
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Arias.

08/31/2011 page 98
36.3% 3 comments

Braiden Immediately hey? Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 2: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Can't wait to hear your thoughts :)

Nomes thanks guys. it's awkward lying down to read the bound pages, haha. I am a very comfy/lazy reader :) Will sit up tonight and read some more

Braiden Yeah it gets annoying with the larger pages as it’s flimsy as.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) omg I'm so jealous!!! I adored the first book and want this so bad, how are you finding it? Just as awesome as the first? :D

Nomes it is not as gothic (as not set in ixion) but it has a great vibe to it, rather action-y so far :)

Braiden That’s what I said Nomes, “less gothic-y"

Arlene Happy reading Nomes! I'm looking forward to your review on this one. :)

Wendy Darling Ooo, Lenoir. *gazes off into distance*

I'm glad to hear Retra is a little more confident in this one!

message 10: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber Great review. I can't wait to read this one.

message 11: by Lyndsey (new) - added it

Lyndsey I just adore the name Retra. I really don't want to call her Naif. Great review, Nomes. Can't wait to read this one!

Nomes LOL, Wendy. I just realised I *meant* to go back and finish my train of thought about Retra and her confidence, it's a bit of a random statement there with no follow up (I half wrote this review a month ago before I went overseas and then finished it off the other day). She did feel so different as naif :)

@ Lyndsey: I love the name Naif as well. Also, I think Arlene is touring a copy of this Lyndsey. Hope you get to read it soon x