Ed 's Reviews > A Necessary End

A Necessary End by Peter Robinson

May 31, 11

bookshelves: peter-robinson
Read in May, 2011

I was wondering while reading "A Necessary End" whether the reader should hate or feel disgust at the actions of Superintendent Richard Burgess, known for good reason as "Dirty Dick". He is a right wing thug who bullies witnesses, slaps suspects around and would rather terrorize someone than arrest him. Because he is presented with almost no human qualities--he likes to drink a lot, tries and sometimes succeeds in seducing barmaids and hates any place north of London. But he comes across almost as an automaton, a robot programmed to be a rough cop who thinks he is all that stands between England and anarchy. I found him as impossible to dislike as I would a natural disaster--a flood or hurricane that endangered Eastvale, its citizens and its police department.

While it was satisfying that Chief Inspector Banks outmaneuvered him a bit it wasn't a case of justice triumphant more of getting an annoyance out of the way.

Given all that it is a very well written book with a bunch of memorable characters and just enough clues for an alert reader to discover the murderer before the end. I didn't, not being that alert but my wife had it nailed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Necessary End.