Alison's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Sep 19, 11

Read in July, 2011

A new favorite! Another imaginative, captivating novel from YA queen, Maggie Stiefvater!

There are no werewolves, faeries, or shape-shifters in this novel. Instead, Maggie Stiefvater introduces the capaill uisce, wild water horses which are as vicious and strong as they are beautiful. These large beasts emerge from the sea onto the shores of Thisby once a year, when the islanders attempt to tame these wild horses to run in the Scorpio Races.

The Races are not for the weak or faint of heart - many people have been killed by the capaill uisce. No one knows this more than Kate Connelly, also known as Puck. Her parents were killed by a water horse, but she may have to run her own mare, Dove, in the races in order to avoid losing her home and her two brothers. The favorite to win the Races is island horse whisperer-type, Sean Kendrick. Sean has his own cross to bear, also known as the Malvern family, who also happens to be his employer. The bond between Sean and Corr, his water horse, will pull at your heartstrings.

I read this book while on vacation. Among the bag full of books I brought with me, I picked up THE SCORPIO RACES to read the first few pages to see if it was the one I would bring to the beach...and I don't think I put it down until it was finished.

The story drew me in and wouldn't let go. Interesting, exciting, and frightening all at the same time. Pair this with Maggie's beautiful writing, and you have one of my new favorite YA books!

I highly recommend THE SCORPIO RACES!

Note: This book will be loved by boys and girls alike!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.