Jason's Reviews > A Fraction of the Whole

A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz

May 31, 11

Read in December, 2008

At times interesting, at times filled with vivid description and at times a page-turner, this book is none of those things at all times.

The things that makes this novel a 2-star review are these: I had no problem putting this book down for the night and not coming back to it for weeks at a time. I can't identify why that is the case -- primarily I think it's because I wasn't invested in what happens to these characters, and when you're halfway through a book you ought to be -- but in my opinion the best novels are the ones you can't put down without feeling some tinge of regret or resentment. I definitely didn't get that from this book.

Also, there is no story. There is no plot; the entire book is just a collection of incidents and soliloquies and monologues that do nothing but take up pages. If there is no plot there sure as hell can't be a climax and a resolution, and in a work of fiction there ought to be.

The fact that I can take or leave this book and did not feel at all compelled to finish it sinks any positives it has going for it.

Bland characters and bland events make for a bland novel.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fraction of the Whole.