Autumn's Reviews > Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain

Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

May 31, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in May, 2011

I love biographies (memoirs?) but this one was tough. Eating disorders are brutal. The mentality of anorexia is so far from the way I think it was like she was on another planet. I wish more of the book would have been dedicated on how to recover. From the outside looking in she's still thin (130 lbs) so most people would think she still diets and exercises but she claims she eats when she's hungry and lives an active lifestyle (walking her dogs, riding horses, etc.) I'm not sure if I believe her but whatever.

The best page of the book is when she admitted during her illness she was very selfish and when she started to seek a healthy lifestyle she discovered a sense of connectedness. I think many people struggle with food because we don't grow or raise our own. It's just there. And with fast food restaurants it's there whenever we want it and it's cheap. If we thought more about how it's raised and nature in general it'd be a lot easier to be healthy. IMO

Also, she was a paid model at 12 years old when a lady told her she had a saggy bottom for someone so young. This was the start of her body image problems. So really, if a person says to you, "your child is gorgeous they should be a model." Just say NO!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbearable Lightness.