Brian's Reviews > A Severe Mercy

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken

Aug 24, 09

bookshelves: love-and-marriage
Read in February, 2008

I've Learned that just about everything I've done in my life has been less than selfless. Marriage should be one of lifes greatest treats and they prove it. This couple met in their twenties and fell in love, setting out on a voyage that makes the heart melt, the eyes water, and the soul desire the same. All of us who are married should truly desire this in our marriages, I'd go so far as to say that this kind of devotion wouldn't hurt in most all of our serious relationships, minus the sexual element of course, that would be weird!
The author was in correspondence with C.S. Lewis and they spent many years writing each other up until Lewis died, if they wrote after that that would be more weird! He includes the letters in the book which are of course very interesting, but most of all when I read this I felt as if I was watching a movie of a dream I had about the kind of relationship I wanted with my wife. I believe the portrait painted in the book is what a truly committed marriege looks like minus the children of course. (they never had any) They are utterly committed to one another in every aspect and if they aren't immediately attentive to that fact, they strive to bring the other persons awareness of a problem to their attention. No whining, no self pity, no selfishness, as much as I've ever seen in humans, of course he could have painted a better picture than the actual account but I will refrain from cynicism. I have recommended this book to a number of people, if you haven't read it, read it, if you have kids getting of age buy it for them and have them read it, give it as a wedding present. Of the marriage books Ive read and they are numerous, this is the most real, is it hard to achieve, no doubt, but as in following Christ you must count the cost and with this book it is worth the price.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Severe Mercy.