Jennifer's Reviews > Wayward Son

Wayward Son by Tom Pollack

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in June, 2011

I received this book a part of a first-reads giveaway.

I found Wayward Son by Tom Pollack to be an ambitious, remarkable and epic novel. I enjoyed it from start to finish. There are plenty of plot twists and secrets to be revealed. When an ancient vault that has been buried for centuries is discovered in Ercolano, Italy near Mount Vesuvius Amanda James must figure out the key to unlocking its doors and discover what lies within. Once inside she has an incredible vision of another's life, a man who had incredibly lived through thousands of years and had a great impact on history. This novel asks a lot of what if questions about both biblical and secular history and about human nature. What if one man who committed a heinous act could live for millenia? Could he in all that time turn his life around and find redemption and peace? What kind of accomplishments could he acheive? What would it be like to outlive all his family and loved ones?
I don't usually read a lot of books with a religious nature or deal with biblical subjects, but I found the message here to be empasized just the right amout to be moving and inspirational without being too overdone. There was a lot of focus on the adventure of it all and the history it encompasses. For these reasons and many more this book could appeal to a wide audience.
I read on the back cover that this is a debut novel in a series. The novel seems complete in itself, so I'm not sure what direction the next novel would take...but I would be interested to read it and find out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wayward Son.