Sarah's Reviews > Ozma of Oz

Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum

May 31, 11

bookshelves: middle-grade, novel, oz
Read in July, 2008

This third entry in a popular early 20th century series was satisfying. While I was disappointed to discover that I don't love the Oz books as much as MGM's classic movie from 1939, I enjoy the quirky characters and unexpected adventures of the characters in Baum's series.

Ozma of Oz includes several of the characters we've met in the previous two Oz books - Dorothy Gale & her three now famous friends, as well as Princess Ozma and the Sawhorse from the second Oz adventure. There are also a few new characters, mainly Billina, a talking hen, and Tic-Toc, a walking, talking, thinking machine under warranty for 1,000 years.

Part of the reason I love this story so much is because it's a large part of the story for the delightful movie Return to Oz, probably my second favorite Oz interpretation. The rest of that movie is based on the previous Oz adventure.

After I got over my initial disappointment that Baum's books aren't the sap-fest that my favorite is, it's easy to love Baum's imaginative stories set in the fairy lands in and around Oz. This certainly a series more enjoyable for children, but one that adults won't mind reading to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ozma of Oz.