Susan Mann's Reviews > The Book of Lost Souls

The Book of Lost Souls by Michelle Muto

Jun 17, 11

Read from May 31 to June 15, 2011

I love Michelle's work and have followed it for a while, so I was over the moon when her book was published and she asked me to review it. This book did not fail to disappoint, it was everything I could hope for, excitement, magic, mystery, hot guys and witches.

The plot is a real page turner, it will keep you riveted until it is finished and yet leave you wanting more. I could fully relate to the characters who intertwined with each other perfectly. There are so many funny moments in this book, which will leave you smiling to yourself or giving out a little laugh, it really is a pleasure to read. However it wasn't all fun and light, there is mystery, a complicated love life and a strained relationship.

The book is based in a small town called Nothwick, where all sorts of supernaturals live amongst humans. The main character is a young girl called Ivy, who is a witch. Her father is into Dark magic, which she is tempted with at times. She's in that between stage, starting to mature but still young. I think she is a great main character, one you could relate to as a teen or your inner teen.

Ivy is a "kindred" teen, which means anything that is supernatural in The Book of Lost Souls, it is hard enough being a teenager without using dark magic to get a date. Then the hot, smoking, bad boy Nick, who's a demon offers her a chance to have it all. Will she take it and risk everything? I for one was routing for Nick. He's a great character.

I think Ivy is a great role model for any YA, she makes mistakes, as we all do, but she learns from them. She is also a loyal friend, which is reciprocated. This book is the classic struggle between good and evil, but not predictable. It's a dark book, but a light and fun read.

I would highly recommend this book, it's a fun and excellent read with a great original plot, which will keep you transfixed until the very end. I for one cannot wait to read the sequel, if there is one. Please, may there be one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Souls.