Christina's Reviews > The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Oct 08, 09

bookshelves: children-read-aloud, fantasy
Read in March, 2008

Lu and I read this together . . . the first time for both of us. It's a delightful read-aloud book. Just enough excitement to entice, but not frighten a 4-year-old. It's amazing that it was written over 100 years ago. I found myself crying through the ending and having to explain to my daughter that they were happy tears, not sad ones. The version we read has illustrations done by Michael Hague from 1982. They have an appropriately vintage feel to them with vibrant colors. We really enjoyed it.

We're listening to this again (what? like two years later?), this time on audio in the car and with my younger son in tow (who's now four). It's still just as enjoyable and despite the violence at times, it doesn't feel violent or too scary. Personally, I think there's more harm in watching suggestive commercials than there is in hearing about a tin woodsman chopping the heads off a pack of wicked wolves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rozalyn (new)

Rozalyn I'm glad to see it was a good book! I have been hesitant about this one because the movie is a little, um, scary.

Christina Um, yeah, it *was* scary in parts. But, hey, there are scary things in this world. None of these things were too scary though, even the witch (although I *do* do a very scary witch voice :)

Marie My husband read this to our kids at ages 5 and 3, and they all LOVED it!