Christina Westover's Reviews > Upper Cut: Highlights of My Hollywood Life

Upper Cut by Carrie White

Sep 22, 11

Upper Cut opens with Carrie White introducing us to a childhood which was without boundaries or parental nurturing as she mixes a cocktail for her mother, her mother's boyfriend, and herself at the tender age of six. Glimpses of heartfelt humor are woven within the tragic tale of a young girl who survived abuse, abandonment, and neglect. While reading Carrie White's accounts as a child, it is plain to see that even at an early age, her instinct to survive was formidable, and she was imaginative and clever enough to find her niche in styling hair. She realized even then, that one must be able to create the illusion of art and fashion in order to, not simply thrive in Hollywood, but to succeed. It is this understanding of art and illusion mingled with a persevering attitude and an unequivocal desire to be the best at what she did which catapulted her into the limelight.

From tales of dates with Jack Nicholson, styling the hair of Claudette Colbert,Bette Midler and Cybill Shepherd among others, Carrie's life appeared to gain momentum quickly. Champagne, drugs, and access to the entire world became her new norm.

However, it was not long before alcohol and drugs began to take their tole on her life. Upper Cut is one of the most candid accounts I have ever read of drug abuse. Excuses are not made for all that Carrie White's children suffered because of her behavior. She does not embellish or try to paint her personal life in a way which glamorizes the hard fast life she once lived, and it is admirable to read of someone who has learned to accept herself regardless of her past. She is proof that true freedom comes when you learn to accept yourself in spite of your background, disabilities, or past mistakes.

Upper Cut is the tale of a child who was not nurtured, a child who became an adult who did not possess the know-how to nurture herself or her own children--but a tale, of a woman who in spite of not having a strong foundation, worked her way to the top in order to care for herself and those she loved in the only way she knew how. It is truly a testament to the human spirit.

Inspiring, emotionally transforming, and honest, Upper Cut is the best memoir I have ever read, and I know it will change lives. There is nothing more powerful than a person's desire for love, and Upper Cut is all heart!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Upper Cut.

Quotes Christina Liked

“The task before you is Never greater than the Power behind you”
Carrie White, Upper Cut: Highlights of My Hollywood Life