Amanda's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

Jun 07, 2008

bookshelves: favorites-from-other-goodreaders, 2008
Recommended to Amanda by: David's Favorite--from Mini Am thread
Read in June, 2008 , read count: 1

4 chapters in and so far I like it very much.

I wish I'd never heard David say he is Holden Caulfield, though. The dude self-proclaims that he's a 'good liar' and I can't handle knowing that about David...

6/4: I forgot what chapter I'm on. Which sucks because I wasn't using a bookmark. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm very much liking this book. It's the kind of book that blocks out my peripheral vision--the kind of book that, when I read it, I have absolutely no concept of whatever else is going on around me. This Holden guy really keeps me captivated. I feel the bits of me that are bits of Holden, too. Those bits that crave adventure, that have the speedy brain without the legs to follow, the adventuring alone bits, and the bits that can't be arsed to do a damn thing sometimes. My very favorite part so far--the part where I feel like Holden is finally able to really open up to me--is when he's repeating his thoughts after getting punched in the stomach by the elevator guy. Where he imagines a gunshot wound and an automatic, a fairy-tale interwoven through life's truths. I can't tell ya how often I do the exact same thing. Kinda fucked up in a way. I never knew there were other people who did that...

6/5: I was just writing a comment about Neil Gaiman in my Chicks group. I have at least three unread Gaimans on my bookshelf at home. And I thought to myself, "I'll read them eventually. I just have to be in the mood. [Sounds like something Holden Caulfield would say!:]" The book is infiltrating my life. David, are you still reading this? I'm trying to write this review for me (which is why I write reviews), but there's an ever-present David aura around The Catcher in the Rye. Weird, weird, weird. I feel like I'm never alone. I want to tunnel into this book (remember, it washes out my periphery?), but I guess you're coming with me... Good thing I like you...

6/7: Finished last night. I need to read it again. I haven't made friends with the last few chapters yet. My favorite part was when Holden was telling the story about the sappy movie he watched once about the guy with amnesia. Fucking hilarious.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 09, 2008 05:20PM) (new)

I wasn't sure whether to applaud yet... or maybe this review isn't finished? It's like when a band leaves the stage... How long do you wait for an encore before you conclude the lead singer is already on the crapper?

At any rate, what's with this only four stars business? Are you trying to tell me that you're giving this book (and, ergo, me) only four stars? I feel so cheap and used. Then again, I always feel cheap and used.

I'm glad you liked it. It would've been embarrassing if you thought my favorite book of all time sucked butt. (Embarrassing for you, I mean.)

You rock, Randamandapanda. But you probably already knew that, bein' smart and all.

message 2: by Kim (last edited Jun 09, 2008 05:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Are you going to read more Salinger, Mands? I suggest Franny and Zooey and Raise High the Roof Beam Carpenters... well, we can throw in 9 Stories too.

David, I just noticed your review and if I wasn't suffering from a heat induced migraine, I'd be all over reading it... anticipation.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Oh, and I like this cover, I just had the standard red one... hmmm... such a good book, I need to re-read it. It's been awhile.

Amanda I am not finished this review. I will never be finished this review. I suspect that this book is the kind that moves with you throughout the crests and troughs of life, morphing all the time. So, I will take it as it is given me.

I give stars based purely on emotion. I reserve the right to adjust as time passes, and I will certainly be reading this book again (and I hardly ever reread books. I think I've only reread one in the last decade). I love that Holden, but I'm sure if he were real, he wouldn't be able to love me back. Makes it hard to bare my naked soul.

Angel, I give you a hundred stars and then some. Even when you break my heart.

Franny and Zooey is definitely the next Salinger on my to-read list. I like ol' J.D. so far and want to know more, more, more.

message 5: by Amanda (last edited Aug 15, 2010 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda I've been meaning, for quite some time now, to go back and 5 star this one. After all, the book kinda stuck with me and I still intend to read it again (which I rarely do). I even bought my own copy (the brown one) for that express purpose.

Today seemed like the right day to adjust the stars.

Edit* And today I've gone back to 4. This is how I roll.

Dmitry suddenly someone like this story too!!

Cosmic Arcata The Catcher in the Rye is about WW2. It is a story within a story. Holden (which is the name of a car) is just a vehicle to "understand" the WW2. See my review. When you understand that Salinger couldn't say what he knew about this war so he wrote it as a children's book... Just like Felix Salten in Bambi (not the Disney version, which is probably why Salinger didn't get his published.

Salinger tells you this is not a David Copperfield story. So don't read it like it is about Holden. Hint: look at the first page of David Copperfield to understand "Caiulfields" name.

I hope you will reread it again. This time when you get to the Merry go round play the music Salinger said was playing, and see if that makes sense or if he is using this book to tell you about money, power and war.