Chris's Reviews > The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Aug 23, 11

bookshelves: contemporary
Read from May 31 to August 23, 2011

Bloated with historical detail, it reminded me why I never liked reading history textbooks: no matter how salient the facts, external detail just can't move me in the way that empathetic, developed internal detail can. I think Chabon should have either written a creative non-fiction work about the comic book heyday (for which he obviously has a strong passion) or focused more on writing a gripping novel. I imagine that if you're as enthralled with comic books and their place in American history as Chabon is, it would be a fascinating read, but as someone with no previous interest in this subject, it didn't really grab me. I wanted to like the characters--especially Sammy, who is by far the most complex (although Joe is given the most complex treatment, he himself is too stoic for any significant introspective moments)--but they got lost amid pages and pages of quasi-historical meandering. It seems like an unfortunate symptom of the Wikipedia era, with the abundance of knowledge obscuring genuine feeling. It could have been half the size and brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.