Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Night Circus

Jul 08, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: librarything, ya, 2011-release
Read from July 06 to 08, 2011

I'm in the minority here, but I didn't LOVE this book. I did at first.. At first, I was entranced by the vivid descriptions of the circus, the woman contortionist, the clock, Celia changing her dress color, her father disappearing. Interesting stuff, but by page 200, I was going, "okay, more descriptions? Enough already. Get on with the tale."

It's a superb idea and a very unique book, thus I gave it a three despite the fact I ended up skimming the last half due to boredom and frustration. I grew frustrated because 1. time jumping. I loathe too much time jumping. I got so confused at the changing years and ages of the characters, I had to email a friend who previously read this and ask her, "how old is everyone when?" Had I realized it was going to be so darn complicated, I would have taken notes from the very beginning. However, if I have to start recording stuff, it takes some of the fun out of reading. 2. Who the heck are these people? The characters are so... standoffish, so untouchable. You never get to know them or their deep thoughts. Romance? I didn't feel it at all.

Most people will love it. That's obvious from all the glowing reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

07/07/2011 page 67
17.0% "The first person narrative is actually working in this one. So far, I'm very impressed by this."
07/08/2011 page 136
35.0% "Like it, don't love it. The time jumping is beginning to bug me."