Bernard's Reviews > I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

M_50x66
May 31, 11

Bernard Rodgers May 31, 2011
Book Review
I think that this book was okay but it wouldn’t be a book I would really recommend to someone else. I think that this book had some strong chapters that made it ok to read. But the book lacked the umph that I needed in order to keep the book glued to my hands. If I had to rate the book out of five stars. I think I would give it a 2.0. I liked how Maya characterized all of the characters in the book because she gave a clear understanding of each person. For example, in chapter fifteen, when she first met Mrs. Flowers she said, Mrs. Flowers looked like a righteous woman, who wore white gloves and looked very sophisticated. She also said how Mrs. Flowers looked like no woman she had ever saw or met in her life. I also like how part of the books theme is about finding out who you are and your purpose in life. Maya goes through the whole beginning of the book feeling down about herself and having low self- esteem. But toward the end of the book she begins to break out of that spiritual shell of bondage that keeps her feeling alone her childhood life. Then because of this new feeling she begins to read and write poetry that many become to enjoy and that’s what makes her become the woman who she is today.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.