Abby's Reviews > Since the Surrender

Since the Surrender by Julie Anne Long

Sep 25, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read from June 16 to 20, 2011

I knew I was going to be in for the long haul when I realized this book is based on my second LEAST favorite romance plot: adulterers meet again and this time are free to fall in love.

Sigh.

I really hate this plot line.

In brief: Chase (Charles) Eversea is in London to check out the new vicar for Pennyroyal Green when he is summoned by Rosalind March. Ros's sister has gone missing and she needs Chase's connection to help find her.

Of course, Ros and Chase had an illicit kiss way back in the day when she was married to Chase's superior officer and there has been much GUILT AND ANGST AND TRYING TO FORGET THE OMGWTFBBQPASSION!! ever since.

Much is made of how young Ros was and how jaded Chase has become. Yawn. No excuses. You kissed, passionately, a man who wasn't your husband. BAD HEROINE! And of course, the readers are expected to forgive her (and the author for glossing over all this) because she was young and the sex with her husband was vanilla and Missionary-style. Excuse me while I go tear my hair out at another stupid, pseudo-virginal heroine who GOD FORBID has and enjoys sex with a man prior to boinking the hero.

Anyhow, the rest of the plot continues along very thin and silly lines of trying to find a bunch of missing girls, and a very weird and pointless debate about the current system of justice in England at the time.

The first two Pennyroyal books were so fun, but this one's a dud.

Here's hoping that vicar who Chase went to interview turns up again! He's got potential!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Since the Surrender.