Jodie's Reviews > A Texan's Promise

A Texan's Promise by Shelley Gray

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012, net-galley, shelley-shepard-gray
Read from April 08 to 10, 2012

When Clayton finds Vanessa crying one night, he begins to console her only to find out that Vanessa's stepfather took liberties with her that were not his to take. Clayton packs her things and they head west. Along the way though, they quickly discover that there's more between them than friendship. But, with her stepfather on their tail, the elements of nature, and heading through Indian territory, their trek is far from easy. Will Clayton be able to keep his promise to Vanessa's father and keep her safe or will her stepfather catch up and declare her his?

I honestly don't even know where to begin with this one, except with WOW! I am not a huge historical fiction person, but I loved this one! I felt Shelley did a great job weaving together a small touch of the history, a small touch of the western feel, a touch of the "bad" guy, and of course the romance was fabulous as well! At times I could feel myself sitting in a small western town, seeing the sights, smelling the air, and enjoying the lively conversations. I don't normally get so wrapped up in these type books, but this one caught me hook, line, and sinker!!

I love reading Shelley's Amish fiction books and was pleasantly surprised to find this one just as exciting! From the beginning pages until the end, I had a hard time putting down this book. I know, I know, everyone always says the same thing when it comes to western, history, romance books, you always know what's going to happen at the end. But, you know what? I enjoy the journey to the end because it is always different! Fantastic work Shelley!!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Abingdon Press in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Texan's Promise.