Kathryn's Reviews > Marque and Reprisal

Marque and Reprisal by Elizabeth Moon

Jul 29, 11

Read from July 27 to 29, 2011

Sadly not as good as the first volume, but still very fun to read. We follow Ky Vatta after the events of the first book, and in this book the political and interpersonal aspects take a step forward, whereas the economical aspects are put to one side.

Elizabeth Moon seemed to use Marque and Reprisal as perhaps a board cleaner, as she wiped a lot of the universe out. Many characters were killed, and as such a few more were introduced. We're left with some surviving characters, one of whom we learn a lot about, but on the whole I think more characters were killed than introduced properly. It wasn't a bad thing at all in that it did put Moon in a better position to tell a story.

That said, I felt some things were overused or overdone. As per the first book, Moon opts to destroy the communications system again, and it felt a little bit too convenient and I wondered if Moon could have done something else to cause issues for Ky. We're also told a number of times that Ky isn't interested in a certain male character, and it got to the point of redundancy. We know she's not interested, or at least we're told she's not, but Ky keeps getting odd "feelings" around him. Sigh. Why? It doesn't seem right for her. There's also a bit of a fall back to some, perhaps, predictable character types. Overyoung ranked personnel, tough-as-an-elephant military, multi-faceted and disarming male semi-not-quite-love interest - They all make an appearance, and it feels a little cheap, especially combined with how good a character Ky is.

But I did enjoy the book, regardless of its flaws. It was a quick read, it was quick-paced and it didn't bore me for one moment. I'll gladly read the next book (It's actually on my shelf, along with the fourth), and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Moon has a good series going here, and I think Ky is a very interesting and well-written protagonist.

A must read for anyone into space opera.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marque and Reprisal.

07/27/2011 page 94