Sandra's Reviews > Butterfly

Butterfly by Jodi Bullock

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read on June 08, 2011

** spoiler alert ** When Brooke's family moves next door to the crazy lady in town, she's at first a little wary. But soon a friendship strikes up between the two and Brooke learns the truth - she's a dream seer and now an apprentice to Miss Cee Cee. But when Miss Cee Cee and some of her colleagues are sucked into a bad place, can she and her seer friend Blaze save them all?

The first thing that struck my about this novel were the short sentences. As I read I felt this book might have been geared more towards the middle grade reader as opposed to the YA reader. The story also seemed to start out slow, but about halfway through I started getting hooked. The book redeemed itself by the end because of the imagery. The storyline might have been basic, but I thought the author did a fantastic job with the imagery in the dream sequence at the end of the book. I could actually picture the things she was describing and it looked just like a horror movie! I don't do horror movies and I'm seriously hoping I don't have nightmares tonight.

The book gets three stars because, while it was a great plot idea and the imagery was great, the story felt a little basic and the characters were a little flat. There were also some technical issues like misplaced quotations marks and I didn't care for the formatting, but I was thrilled to finally read a self-published book that wasn't riddled with spelling or grammatical errors. Ms. Bullock gets huge props for that. In the end, I enjoyed the story.

PS: I won this through the Goodreads First Reads program but the fact that I got this book for free did not affect my review.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Butterfly.