Nicki Ivey's Reviews > Fear And Laundry

Fear And Laundry by Elizabeth Myles

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: nickis-shelf
Read in August, 2011

First, I won this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway, and that's where the awesomeness started.

The story takes place in 1994, and Veronica and Lia are trying to save their favorite hangout from financial ruin. Veronica has a thing for Lia's brother, but he's so vague about everything it's hard for her (and us!) to tell if he's into her, too. There's music, rock stars, zines (I love zines), drama, horror movies, and romance. All in all, a very satisfying tale.

I totally got sunk back into high school reading this book. It helped that I was actually IN high school when this story was taking place, of course. The story was authentic, enjoyable, and by Part II, I was completely hooked.

The only thing that keeps me from giving this story a fifth star was that when I read I was suddenly thrust out of dialogue into some sort of parallel universe where the narrator told me what people were saying. I appreciate the author's voice in this, but it was still jarring when I realized I was actually reading dialogue effectively on mute instead of description of the scene or the character's actions.

In addition, there was a great use of marketing materials delivered with the book, and included in the book as well. Aside from a postcard with a description of the book (to pass around to friends so they can read about the book while I'm reading, perhaps?) and two business cards (great book marks!), there were two separate QR codes on the cover and on the author bio page taking me to a site specifically for this book, and one specifically for the author. Being in marketing myself, I appreciated this integration thoroughly!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear And Laundry.

08/21/2011 page 19
7.0% "Feeling horrible that I've not finished this yet, I'm back with a vengeance."
08/23/2011 page 108
39.0% "I'm really getting into this now. Feels just like high school!"
08/24/2011 page 193
69.0% "Part 3, here I come!"
08/24/2011 page 223
80.0% "7th paragraph - "thathis""
show 10 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nicki Ivey Just received the copy I won today, and was super impressed by the marketing mats that came with. Can't wait to start reading it tomorrow!