Bryn ((B2/B.P)) Ryeosomniac~~'s Reviews > Winter's Shadow

May 31, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: i-own, paranormal-romance
Read from June 14 to 15, 2011

Wow, M.J. Hearle has a real way with words. In Winter’s Shadow he crafted many beautiful, intricate sentences, which were cleverly used to tell Winter and Blake’s tale.

This is one of the better books to come out of Australia. The plot is a fresh new take to the paranormal genre. I love that Hearle took his time establishing the characters and the setting, you don’t see this a lot in YA fiction now days. Another thing that is rare in this genre that Hearle was able to pull off was the fact that Blake and Winter weren’t all over each other, confessing their love for each other from the get go. Though I thought their relationship lacked a lot of communication and that certain spark, Hearle could easily build on that in the sequels.

For me on of the biggest let downs was Winter. Right from the very start she got on my nerves. She was constantly throwing herself at Blake. When she gave him the tickets to Urban Ninja’s as a gift for saving her life, it was more like she was forcing him to accept it. Also the way she thought annoyed me, it was a distraction from the story.
The paranormal aspect of this book was new and fresh. Apart from some infuriating hints there isn’t much revealed about what paranormal creature is involved until the 250 mark. This just makes the book more engrossing.

All up this is a great read. It breaks away from the PNR mould, creating a new, unique, fun to read book. I’m looking forward to reading the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Shadow.