Cathy's Reviews > Dark & Day

Dark & Day by Israel Grey

Aug 22, 2011

bookshelves: giveaways
Read from August 20 to 22, 2011

I won this in a GoodReads giveaway some time ago intending to give it to my little nephew. But I'm going to give it a go. Looks like good reading. I apologize for not getting to it before now.
This is a great story probably intended for middle-schoolers but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jono is 11 and has been sickly all his life. The only way he can aspire to good health is to get good grades and be accepted into military academy where his life will belong to the state.
And what a state it is. This futuristic alternate-universe novel is dark but not scary. Jono makes it to the academy, makes new friends, and tries to save his world from war that may end it entirely.
The sequel, Dark & Day: The Withering Mark, continues the saga.
This story deserves 5 stars. I have to give it 4 (4.5 if I could), though, because of the typos. They were the strangest I've ever encountered in a book.
We are all familiar with the enormity of typos in ebooks. This, however, is beautifully printed, beautifully illustrated, and beautifully bound.
I first thought, "How could a publishing house allow this to go out," but checked and it appears it was self-published. My question, then, is where the heck were the human readers? Someone besides the authors themselves should READ self-published works and not be afraid to criticize. Have these authors no friends?
The usual typos resulting from spell-check are here: "main of hair" and "alter where she worships" being two examples.
However, this book had, time after time, errors I haven't seen before.
First, word tenses were mixed in many, many sentences.
(pg. 176) "A shadow beneath the cracked ice appeared for only a moment before it fading quickly away."
(pg. 234) "Jono wanted to avoided being late to class..."
Second, loads and loads of sentences omit words.
(pg. 224) "Jono noticed the pink spots on his arms had begun to peel away the skin to find tiny metal circles."
(pg. 224) "The small black dots itched violently and Jonothon his arm."
In addition to these two examples there were many instances of smaller words missing: the, to, an, etc.
I'll make my usual offer: $.05/page and I'll fix all these problems for any author who wants to retain my services.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark & Day.

08/21/2011 page 173

Israel Grey Thanks for listing out the typos! I've been over the book so many times, I think my eyes miss alot! I will actually be relaunching the first book (with new cover art) along with the sequel later this fall. I will be sure to correct the errors in the new printing. Sorry that the typos soiled the experience! :( I will truly try to do better with the reprints and the sequels. I would be happy to enlist your services for edits. The sequel is in the editing stage now. Let's chat via email - Thank you!!

message 2: by Cathy (last edited Aug 25, 2011 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathy Thanks. I'd love to enlist. I'm 61 with a BBA degree from Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and an MS in Administration from West Chester University in PA. My Master's thesis was in Rhetorical Strategies of the Third Reich.
I've been reading since I was 4.
I worked at GE as an accountant for many years before ill health forced me to leave.
I'd read (and edit) for you if you would supply me with a double-spaced hard copy.
My email is