Joe's Reviews > Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead

Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead by Frank Meeink

May 30, 11

bookshelves: psychology, sociology, non-fiction
Read from May 29 to 31, 2011

This is a pretty fantastic autobiography of Frank Meeink, who was one of the most racist, and notoriously violent people involved with Aryan Nations and other hate organizations on the east coast between 1980-2000. It has become a pretty popular read due to the fact that Mr. Meeink is completely forthcoming with all of the brutal crimes he has committed, and describes his drug use as vividly as his memory allows him. Also, he doesn't write with a tone suggesting that he's using it as an apology toward the people who he's hurt over the decades, though he did describe many efforts he's undertaken to try to make amends. Instead of being an apology, this book is an introspective look at what environmental and potentially biological factors led him into such deplorable situations. I really found it fascinating, though I still find myself wanting more information about how he has dealt with his frequent relapses as time went on, and more info on the "why's" of his hatred - like what thoughts did he have that made him hate various groups so much. Clearly a lot of what was Aryan Nation indoctrination, I just found myself curious about what he was really thinking during his adolescence in addition to what he was do-ing. Regardless, the book is very insightful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autobiography of a Recovering Skinhead.