Kristen Rudd's Reviews > Teaching the Restless: One School's Remarkable No-Ritalin Approach to Helping Children Learn and Succeed

Teaching the Restless by Chris Mercogliano

May 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011, education, non-fiction
Read in May, 2011

This is not a how-to book for people looking for methods that will work with rambunctious kids. This is the story of several children who were either forced to, or candidates for, Ritalin and other "behavioral" drugs for children. The author, a director at the school the kids entered into, the Albany Free School, makes no bones about his bias against these drugs. He tells the stories of their experiences there.

It's a great read. It reminds us to look at children as full humans and respect them accordingly, and not see them as just small people with no life experiences. We need to trust our kids more to know who they are, and if they don't, help guide them in letting them figure it out. I'm definitely inspired to change some of the ways we've been homeschooling and let my kids have a larger partnership role in their education.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teaching the Restless.