Leah's Reviews > Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon

Tell Me Where It Hurts by Nick Trout

Jun 01, 15

bookshelves: animal-books, read-in-2012, sucker-for-a-veterinarian, memoirs-and-autobiographies, be-a-better-doctor
Read from June 26 to July 01, 2012

Honestly, I expected more. As a veterinary student, I was really excited to read this book. I will say that from a scientific point of appreciation, I enjoyed the book a great deal. The explanation of medical proceedings and statistics was very interesting and informative and I learned well from that. But Dr. Trout is unfortunately no storyteller. The book was supposed to be set up as a literal 'day-in-the-life' but instead of keeping with the actual passage of time there were a significant amount of flashbacks and philosophizing on the state of veterinary medicine as a whole that only served to confuse the sequential plot and linear nature of the book. I was continuously trying to figure out if what I was reading was supposed to be considered real-time or a memory or what. I found this increasingly frustrating. And I realize that a non-fiction day-in-the-life is going to be difficult to create a plot that can be followed through the entire book but to me the whole book just felt so disjointed that it took a lot of the enjoyment out of reading it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell Me Where It Hurts.

06/27/2012 page 76