Joy H.'s Reviews > And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry

And Here's the Kicker by Mike Sacks

May 31, 11

bookshelves: humor, want-to-read-again

Read July 2010
I'd forgotten I had read this book until I came across the following words I had copied from p.282:
===================================
[From an interview with Dick Cavett]:
"Many simply don't have an ear for jokes just like they don't have an ear for music. They're comedically tone-deaf."
===================================
This was interesting to me since I had already taken notes on something similar which Julia Louis-Dreyfus had said while being interviewed at the Actor's Studio (TV). She said: "An ear for humor is like having an ear for music." (paraphrased).

This is an interesting concept. I know some people who seem to be "comedically tone-deaf". While they may be fine, interesting people, they tend not to be much fun.

I wonder if there's a gene for humor. Is a sense of humor inherited or is it something we acquire from growing up around people who have senses of humor? That's something to think about.

Hmmm, perhaps some day I'll read this book again. I love this sort of stuff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Here's the Kicker.