Jackie's Reviews > 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

3920207
Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: 2004, pre-2004, memorable, captain-nemo, sea, annotated, 2012
Read in January, 2004 — I own a copy, read count: 4+

My favorite book of all time. I love the melding of science fact (at the time, at least) with science fiction, I love Nemo's passion for freedom and ideals of social justice, I love the adventure, I love the sense of wonder, I love the relationships between all the characters, and I even love the endless catalogues of fish. This book was one of the major sources of my love of science, and it fascinates me just as much every time I reread it. This translation is particularly excellent--it fixes the many cuts and scientific mistakes made by previous translators and includes annotations on the book and what they fixed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Quotes Jackie Liked

Jules Verne
“The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the Living Infinite. ”
Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea