Emily L's Reviews > The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family

The Lost Boy by Dave Pelzer

U 50x66
May 30, 2011

Read in April, 2011

David Pelzer is a child taken into the foster care system at age twelve, though he had spent years being tortured and tormented by his mother. David is one of five sons and there's no real indication why he was singled out for his mother's attention. David's father is present during his early years, though he wants peace in his household at any cost—even if it means David is being beaten and tormented.

David's torment ranges from emotional to physical. David says that his mother is "playing a game," and that the key to his survival is to play by her rules. For example, she pulls on his ear but he isn't allowed to flinch. Jerking away from her earns David another slap. As is typical of many abused children, David seeks his mother's approval despite the abuse. When he's nine, his mother kicks him out of the house.

I recommend this book to anybody who is okay with reading painful things but mostly teenagers or young adults. I rated if 5 starts because I could not put the book down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Boy.