Yue's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Feb 22, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, romance
Read from February 18 to 22, 2012

Simple formula for writing a YA novel--
You will need:
-An insecure teenage girl who's vastly and deeply uninteresting and drab, or so she thinks she is.
-A super hot perfect sexy bod rich I-lurve-my-girlfriend strong kind gentle British badass super super smart boyfriend.
-Some problems. Maybe lots.
-Very intimate relationship.
-For added bonus: Amusing banter.

Directions:
Mix the ingredients together.
Add a bit of sprinkles.
Publish.

Yes, I think I've figured it out by now, since the formula is getting old.
Now, don't get me wrong; not everyone can pull off this formula beautifully like Michelle Hodkin. She's brilliant. But a bit cliched.

This is the kind of guilty pleasure read. It's slightly corny, but it's a nice break from a heavy, depressing book. To be honest, I enjoyed this book quite a lot. Noah amused me and Mara actually had a little more personality than a lot of the YA character these days. Plus, you cannot deny the freaking cover of this book is beautiful. I want that sexy font. And I love the author's fedora. YES MORE AUTHORS WITH FEDORA HATS= HAPPIER PEOPLE. And her author bio was amusing.

Okay, so that tidbit had nothing to do with the book. Oh well.

Mara's obsession with Noah kind of pissed me off. It was way too clingy like OHMIGAWD HE IS SO SEXAYYYY HIS EYELASHES ARE GORGEOUS EVEN HIS BOOGER MAKES ME SQUEAL.

Overall, it was okay. Just another paranormal romance, but significantly better than many other ones you'll find. I think I'll go back to reading depressing books now.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

02/19/2012 page 200
44.0% "Oh, teenage drama." 2 comments
02/21/2012 page 230
51.0% "Flawless human being + vastly uninteresting protagonist= the formula for every YA book. And yet, I still enjoy them. I have issues."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat I haven't even read the book and I love your review. Just the right amount of humor (which is lots).

message 2: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah EVEN HIS BOOGER MAKES ME SQUEAL.
I'm thinking now that maybe I should've read some of the reviews for this book before buying it...